Robert Roskell pocket watch.

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by Helmetfire, Mar 14, 2010.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Helmetfire

Helmetfire Registered User

Mar 14, 2010
    Hello all.

I have been given a Robert Roskell pocket watch by my farther.
    I have been unable to find out anything about this particular model (I have never seen a pocket watch with a small compass in the dial, which appears to be in Chinese!).
    Hallmark is, I believe, Birmingham 1796. Can anyone tell me who made the case?
    Also, as can be seen in the photos, the minute hand on the second dial has been broken...can this be replaced with a hand of the same pattern?

Any info you can give me would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance,
    Chris.

105.jpg

106.jpg

107.jpg

108.jpg

109.jpg

110.jpg

111.jpg

112.jpg

113.jpg

2. Jerry Matthews

Jerry Matthews Registered User

Sep 20, 2005
    Retired
    Sussex, England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The case may or may not be fine silver as stated, but the hallmark is definitely not English and not Birmingham. I doubt very much that the movement ever saw the hand of Robert Roskell, and the closest it ever got to Liverpool was Hong Kong. I apologise for being so negative, since the watch must mean something to you coming from your father. But I am afraid it has FAKE written all over it.

3. Helmetfire

Helmetfire Registered User

Mar 14, 2010
    Hello Jerry

No need to apologise.
    Just as a matter of interest, what makes you say what you said.
    If I don't ask, I can't learn.

Chris.

4. Jerry Matthews

Jerry Matthews Registered User

Sep 20, 2005
    Retired
    Sussex, England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That is a fair question which deserves an answer, Chris. Let's start with the hallmark. Yes, the anchor is the town mark for Birmingham, and a capital Y was the date letter for 1796-97. But the steer's head? That was never part of any English or Scottish hallmark. The proper hallmark for Birmingham would be the anchor, the lion passant (a lion in a shield walking to the left) and the date letter. Also, the term "fine silver" is not normally used for English silver.

Now to the movement. Robert Roskell, John Roskell and Robert & Son were a well-known family of watchmakers in Liverpool in the late 18th--early 19th century. Your watch movement is clearly much later than that; I would put it early-to mid 20th century. Because the Roskell name is well-known, it was often imitated by makers of cheap Far Eastern movements.

Have you any idea where your father acquired the watch?

5. MartyR

MartyR Super Moderator
    NAWCC Member Donor

Dec 16, 2008
    UK
    Country Flag:
    I did two double-takes on that bull's head - I thought my eyes had gone funny :D

It's actually an interesting looking dial and not a bad case. I would have put the movement at 1900-20, but I agree with Jerry that given the rest of the fakery even that must be in doubt.