Robert Roskell Liverpool movement...perhaps later 1880s?

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by PJQL, Jan 6, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Allan C. Purcell

Allan C. Purcell Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 9, 2013
    Male
    retired
    Germany
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Allan C. Purcell

NAWCC Member

Feb 9, 2013
    Male
    retired
    Germany
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #102 Allan C. Purcell, Mar 30, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2017
    THE KISS??
    Below, photographs of two watches in the early period of liverpool watch trade.(1820-1830). The one on the left I found of interest, because it only has one banking pin. Over the years the steel lever arm as eaten its way half way through the pin. I think the finnisher found after sinking the hole for this pin-he found there was no room for the left hand pin. It would have come through above the escape wheel. While looking at this watch I noticed the end of the barrel plate which has been cut to look like a face or kiss. It came to me that I had seen this before, and after a search through the collection I found the Moncas watch- this though has a double kiss. I take it this was a whim of a barrel plate maker- Comments welcome.

Attached Files:

3. Allan C. Purcell

NAWCC Member

Feb 9, 2013
    Male
    retired
    Germany
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  4. Allan C. Purcell

NAWCC Member

Feb 9, 2013
    Male
    retired
    Germany
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #104 Allan C. Purcell, Jun 6, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2017
    I came across this so called fake watch with the name Robert Roskell stamped on the inner cover. It is a full hunter. Both the two outer covers are stamped
    chaux-de-Fonds Suisse. R. Picard. Under the dial (now missing) it is also stamped R.Picard-the letter i not coming through too well, and it was stamped twice, so looks odd.
    Karl Kockmann in his book Clock and watch Trademark index of European origin- has R. Picard on page 754 the firm started production c1887. The number 8130 is also stamped in three places.
    To me this watch indicates Picard was selling these watches under licence?? They also had nothing to do with the early firm of Robert Roskell-they were I think using the name of a well known firm??
    I have have placed this here for comment-I think it is quite rare to find one of these watches stamped like this. By the way it still works when wound.
    Regards,
    Allan.

5. Allan C. Purcell

NAWCC Member

Feb 9, 2013
    Male
    retired
    Germany
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #105 Allan C. Purcell, Jun 6, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2017
    Hi Marty,
    Thank you for removing the large photographs, can you tell how I can avoid them? I also noticed your remarks on the board with regard to M.J.Tobias.
    I have one of these, so here it is to look at. I agree it is a fake. Both these watches have no silver marks-so some kind of New Silver?

rds,
    Allan.

6. John Matthews

John Matthews Registered User

Sep 22, 2015
    Retired Systems Architect
    France
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Allan - in the attachment manager don't use the 'insert inline' button after you have uploaded the photographs. Just click on 'Done' - that adds the thumbnails only.

I know that works for me when I add new photographs, I haven't checked it if you add existing uploaded photographs

Martin - I think using the insert inline function is the problem - if you would like to check I'm correct and perhaps add it to the sticky post. I haven't changed any of my settings.

John

7. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi John,

Yes, this works for existing pictures as well. Well spotted!

Regards,

Graham

8. PJQL

PJQL Registered User
    Donor

Jun 13, 2011
    Retired police officer
    Cornwall UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi all,

Well...one year on from my first opening this thread, it has developed into an almost constant discussion and source of valuable information!

So, in a kind a celebratory way...here's a picture of the original culprit now resting happily in a Hunt & Roskell box.....one which I've actually owned for a few years. Martin will no doubt recognise it!

Also a big thanks to Graham for his surgical talents :thumb:

Regards to all

Piers

9. MartyR

MartyR Super Moderator
    NAWCC Member Donor

Dec 16, 2008
    UK
    Country Flag:
    No problem Allan :) Several readers of this forum agreed that the full-size images (which result from an error in the message board software) make threads impossible to read properly and we all agreed that I should remove them. We will soon be moving the whole board to a new software platform, and the problme will disappear.

In the meantime, there is a sticky thread right at the top of thois forum which explains what you can do yourself to overcome the problem. If you have time, try it yourself, but otherwise just leave it to me.

10. Allan C. Purcell

NAWCC Member

Feb 9, 2013
    Male
    retired
    Germany
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #110 Allan C. Purcell, Jun 7, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2017
    I know its my fault-but I cannot find "Done" anywhere on here. Also the sticky thread-whats it called? Thanks though to all those who have tried to help-I appreciate it.
    Regards,
    Allan.

11. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Allan,

You need to select "Advanced" after "Reply" and then scroll down to "Manage Attachments". That will open a new window where you can upload images or select those already uploaded, before choosing either "Insert Inline" or "Done".

The "stickies" are at the top of this forum (European & Other Pocket Watches) and the first one is the one you want.

Regards,

Graham

12. MartyR

MartyR Super Moderator
    NAWCC Member Donor

Dec 16, 2008
    UK
    Country Flag:
    The "sticky" thread is is shown at the top of this forum index page and is called "Temporary work-around to prevent oversize images".

13. Allan C. Purcell

NAWCC Member

Feb 9, 2013
    Male
    retired
    Germany
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Marty and Graham-Thank you for kind efforts on my behalf. I think I will stick with "DONE" though I hope I dont need it, and will wait for the new upgrade.

Thanks again.

Allan.

14. Allan C. Purcell

NAWCC Member

Feb 9, 2013
    Male
    retired
    Germany
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #114 Allan C. Purcell, Jul 4, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2017
    Worth a look this time-Many new items.
    Regards,

Allan.

15. Allan C. Purcell

NAWCC Member

Feb 9, 2013
    Male
    retired
    Germany
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I came across a piece on Robert Roskell in "Curiosities of Clocks and Watches" by E.J.Wood. First printed in 1866. On Page 239 is;

"The older Mr. Roskell, an eminent goldsmith of Liverpool, who collected specimens of ancient watch-work, and put them into going order, had another of these memento mori watches, in the shape of a small death´s head of silver, witha ring in the summit of the skull, for suspending the article to the girdle.The lower jaw opened so that the dial might be examined. the same gentleman had also a watch which was said to have belonged to one of the pilgrim fathers, and perhaps was an appendage to an emigrant in the May.flower`.It was found in the backwoods of America. Mr. Roskell, in addition, possed a watch of most elaborate workmanship, having three massive cases all in gold, each case being highly embellished with chasing and figures in relievo, the outer case having been originally studded with large diamonds round the rim, but of late years deficient."

He also mentions on page 351." Messrs. Hunt and Roskell have a gold watch by Emery. of London, with painted enamel case of the Holy Family, and a landscape inside.

It would be nice to know more, maybe some of these pieces still exsist-in a musuem or private hands. Impotent in this piece is the fact that Robert Roskell was a collector, and willing to learn from the past.

16. Allan C. Purcell

NAWCC Member

Feb 9, 2013
    Male
    retired
    Germany
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #116 Allan C. Purcell, Aug 28, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2017
    Updates. 28/August/17.

Regards,

Allan.

17. Omexa

Omexa Registered User

Feb 28, 2010
    Hi Allen, looking at the latest Updates. 28/August/17. Page 20 Featuring my Ichabod Prall Pocket Watch Serial Number 8927 seems to have disappeared? You have put a lot of work into this research project. Regards Ray

18. Allan C. Purcell

NAWCC Member

Feb 9, 2013
    Male
    retired
    Germany
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #118 Allan C. Purcell, Aug 29, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2017
    Hi Ray.
    Sorry about that but the thing is getting bigger and bigger-need the space. (Though the old ones are there too). Thanks too for the kind remarks.

Regards,

Allan.

19. Allan C. Purcell

NAWCC Member

Feb 9, 2013
    Male
    retired
    Germany
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #119 Allan C. Purcell, Sep 6, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    New update.06/09/2017.

20. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User
    Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  21. Allan C. Purcell

NAWCC Member

Feb 9, 2013
    Male
    retired
    Germany
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #121 Allan C. Purcell, Sep 7, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi Nick,
    The price is far more than I thought, it is after all just a time piece.Then again the name Roskell goes a long way these days. I will put the number on the lists.

Regards,

Allan.

22. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User
    Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It's small, and very very unusual, tied with a good name.

I love verge bracket clocks, but they come in at a size more suited to substantial rooms, smaller ones always go at a premium and something a bit different that shouts quality will always attract the money.

23. Allan C. Purcell

NAWCC Member

Feb 9, 2013
    Male
    retired
    Germany
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    [​IMG]

Just a quick up-date.

Regards,

Allan.

24. Allan C. Purcell

NAWCC Member

Feb 9, 2013
    Male
    retired
    Germany
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have just realised the page numbers are incorrect. This I hope is now sorted. There are less pages-but more numbers.

Regards,

Allan.[​IMG]