• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

roamer watch

M

Mike Kearney

Andy, according to Kathy Pritchard's excellent 'Swiss Timepiece Makers 1775-1975', Roamer was started by Fritz Meyer in Solothurn in 1888. By 1905 his company had made a half million watches. By 1905 the company was called Meyer & Studeli. I'm not exactly sure when they began using the Roamer name, but certainly they were using it by 1927. Another name associated with the company is Medana. They made waterproof and calendar watches, among others. Roamer Watches England imported a 21 jewel automatic called the Rotopower in the 1950's. More recent models were the Calculus and the Rockshell. Hope that helps.

Regards,
Mike

prideofmatchingham

Dec 13, 2011
Kolkata, India
Country
DSC01630.jpg DSC01641.jpg DSC01633.jpg DSC01634.jpg DSC01636.jpg DSC01639.jpg DSC01640.jpg DSC01632.jpg DSC01631.jpg

Can someone help me in dating this watch which is Roamer alarm. I didnt find a single such watch on sale on ebay and hence consider it to be kind of precious! It is in fully working condition. Should I keep it or sell off?
POM

Squite

Jun 26, 2012
Seattle, WA, USA
Country
Region
Meyer/Roamer registered the 'Roamer Popular' trademark in August, 1954 in Solothurn, Switzerland. They were using a "MST" (for Meyer & Studeli) trademark as of 1938.

prideofmatchingham

Dec 13, 2011
Kolkata, India
Country
Thanks for reply.
But I dont know how the red dots appeared on the dial. DIAL IS NOT REPAINTED or anything like that. It is original dial, though red dots are certaainly the later additions!

trim

NAWCC Member
Feb 19, 2010
Country
You can find some information on my site re dating these. Some information is mentioned below on 2 of my examples.

http://roamer-watches.info/features/MST417/1/gallery.shtml

http://roamer-watches.info/features/MST427/1/gallery.shtml

Yours is an MST417 so first 1/2 of the 1950s. They are interesting watches.

But I dont know how the red dots appeared on the dial. DIAL IS NOT REPAINTED or anything like that. It is original dial, though red dots are certaainly the later additions!

You are incorrect, as much as you wish it to be otherwise, this is a bad redial. It was never branded as a popular as this was a prestige watch, and the popular range was a budget range. Such a dial never left the factory Roamer.

Last edited:

Adam Harris

Moore NWCM Award
May 3, 2012
Costa Blanca - Spain
highercailber.com
Country
Its cool though.
I collect alarms and quite fancy a Roamer for personal reasons if anyone is selling one

Best

trim

NAWCC Member
Feb 19, 2010
Country
Its cool though.
I collect alarms and quite fancy a Roamer for personal reasons if anyone is selling one

Best
Hey Adam,

they are a really interesting calibre design and the patents make good reading. They came in chrome, yellow gold and a uncommonly in ose gold (I have only seen mine). The chrome ones usually suffered more than the better quality rolled gold cased ones. It also seems the later 427 calibre is rarer than the earlier 417, but there isn't enough data to know for sure - and the original factory production data is long gone.

I didn't see one for over a year on ebay, and then 4 in one month. So I think certainly on the uncommon to rare side, and the prices are getting up there.

What sort of condition were you considering?

It was a pity I missed your Guest Curatorship - as I am now in the US (but several months too late).

Adam Harris

Moore NWCM Award
May 3, 2012
Costa Blanca - Spain
highercailber.com
Country
Hey Adam,

they are a really interesting calibre design and the patents make good reading. They came in chrome, yellow gold and a uncommonly in ose gold (I have only seen mine). The chrome ones usually suffered more than the better quality rolled gold cased ones. It also seems the later 427 calibre is rarer than the earlier 417, but there isn't enough data to know for sure - and the original factory production data is long gone.

I didn't see one for over a year on ebay, and then 4 in one month. So I think certainly on the uncommon to rare side, and the prices are getting up there.

What sort of condition were you considering?

It was a pity I missed your Guest Curatorship - as I am now in the US (but several months too late).
Hy Trim. First I am REALLY impressed your web site - Outstanding. Would have loved to have met you at museum.

I like only good condition pieces. This is a bit personal too. My uncle gave. me a Roamer a Roamer watch when I was 13 (bar mitzvah)
he died soon after and I have given the watch away. So I would like another Roamer in my collection. But I have not seen anything I like, but that alarm is lovely.
Have a safe trip.
best
a

trim

NAWCC Member
Feb 19, 2010
Country
Hy Trim. First I am REALLY impressed your web site - Outstanding. Would have loved to have met you at museum.

I like only good condition pieces. This is a bit personal too. My uncle gave. me a Roamer a Roamer watch when I was 13 (bar mitzvah)
he died soon after and I have given the watch away. So I would like another Roamer in my collection. But I have not seen anything I like, but that alarm is lovely.
Have a safe trip.
best
a
Thanks Adam. Did you see the Roamer Alarm that recently went on ebay.de. I hope you got it, if it was what you were after.

Here is one of mine for reference - I picked this up recently at the midwest regional (much to my surprise).

52.jpg

Knowing your predilection for early autos it might be worth looking at some of their first in-house autos, as they have an interesting auto mechanism - although these were only made in the late 1940s. They did patents of some crazy in-house autos in the 1930s, but I do not know if they made them, or if any survive. Finding one would be amazing.

Likewise, they did some nice trench watch designs - although in all honesty, the designs are somewhat formulaic - but at least with an inhouse movement and dial.

Last edited:

Adam Harris

Moore NWCM Award
May 3, 2012
Costa Blanca - Spain
highercailber.com
Country
Hi Trim
I watched it all the way. Nearly bid, but I had already spent a lot this month + am watching 2 pcs I have to have LOL

That one you posted is really lovely.
I have about 6 alarm watches from different manufacturers
Please continue to send me links to offers. Still want a Roamer.

Kind Regards and thanks Adam

trim

NAWCC Member
Feb 19, 2010
Country
I had already spent a lot this month + am watching 2 pcs I have to have LOL
I know that feeling. It was an incredibly expensive October for me.

That one you posted is really lovely.
I have about 6 alarm watches from different manufacturers
Please continue to send me links to offers. Still want a Roamer.
I think we have many common interests.

My alarm collection isn't where I would like it to be, my calendar pointer collection is doing a lot better. In terms of alarms, apart from the 4 or 5 Roamers, I only have a few of interest. Maybe we should spin off a separate thread - I'd love to see yours posted.

Speaking of which, did you get a copy of the alarm book? I saw it at the NAWCC museum, and it is a great reference. I'd just spent a small fortune at the midwest show and couldn't quite justify it - even though I was sorely tempted.

Adam Harris

Moore NWCM Award
May 3, 2012
Costa Blanca - Spain
highercailber.com
Country
I know the book well. I don't own a copy. It is a matter of priorities. Although I own about 7 different makes of alarm watch, it is not my area of study or expertise. .
i like them for their practical daily use.
if you see another Roamer always point me to it.
Thanks as always. Adam

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BB767
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Swiss Fake by Kent