Rising repair costs due to Gasoline Prices

wingardclocks

Oct 1, 2007
Visit site
Has anyone raise thier rates to cover the higher cost of gas?
I'm actually keeping mine the same, and saving money at the same time.
I don't use my car anymore for transportation to and from the clock shop. Check out the pics.
I bought gas power hedge trimmers at a yard sale for $5. After a little machining, eliminatimg the clutch, then mounting it, it goes between 15 & 17 mph. I use the water bottle for the gas tank, and get about 50-60 mile a bottle. Threw on a basket, high handle bars and a larger seat for comfort. I got an old shifting handle and cable from another bike and use that for the throttle.

Attachments

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Great idea, wingard. Do your tools fit in the basket?
I have started charging more for out of town calls, and my customers haven't complained. I find myself not driving as much, usually waiting til I have 2 or 3 calls before travelling too far. Costs me about $80-90 for a tankful, which lasts about 2 weeks (yes, I drive an SUV).

oldticker

Jan 15, 2005
Birmingham, UK
Country
Region
In England they don't raise the price of fuel as much as the tax on it.
If I fill my tank in my car it would cost about £70 - $140.

They screw us on the road tax too - 40% is not re-invested in making our roads better - it probably goes towards their girlfriends their wives don't know about - they love wasting our tax money.

I've never seen the price of food - especially bread, rise so much in years as it has in the last year.

Nobody's wages is keeping pace with inflation and the rising cost of electric, gas, water, council tax, rent/mortgage etc.

The situation is getting ridiculous. The price of electricity over here DOUBLED last year. Yet the politicians vote themselves a hefty wage rise - so much for being a democratic country.

:bang:

wingardclocks

Oct 1, 2007
Visit site
Yes Harold my tool box fits in the basket.
What ya think about me making a wagon for the back so I can do service calls and transporting tall clocks! LOL!!!!!!!

Arthur Cagle

May 22, 2003
Greater Baton Rouge Area, Louisiana
Country
Region
oldticker said:
In England they don't raise the price of fuel as much as the tax on it.
If I fill my tank in my car it would cost about £70 - $140.

They screw us on the road tax too - 40% is not re-invested in making our roads better - it probably goes towards their girlfriends their wives don't know about - they love wasting our tax money.

I've never seen the price of food - especially bread, rise so much in years as it has in the last year.

Nobody's wages is keeping pace with inflation and the rising cost of electric, gas, water, council tax, rent/mortgage etc.

The situation is getting ridiculous. The price of electricity over here DOUBLED last year. Yet the politicians vote themselves a hefty wage rise - so much for being a democratic country.

:bang:
Some things are universal...:mysad:

RJSoftware

Apr 15, 2005
Loxahatchee, Florida
Country
Region
I use to ride a moped.

Thing is after a while you want more power. It's just a thing that you gradually build up to.

Mopeds are sorta dangerouse because your in the inbetween world. Cars zoom by you because by law your not allowed to ride on the sidewalk.

Eventually I moved up to a motorcycle. Gotta tell you they are fun. I rode a Suzuki GN400 for nearly 10 years. Bought it for $300 in almost new condition.

It is funny when I think of it now. When I first got that bike after riding a moped, I was a little scared at the size of the engine. I thought of it as a monster (compared to the moped it was). It had power too!!!!

Riding that bike sometimes was just like an extension of my body. It was more like a street legal Mx bike than a heavy machine. Makes you feel like a bird flying sometimes.

It was pretty cool. Ride with my shirt unbuttoned and it would fly back like a cape. But back then I did not have a super huge beer gut and hee hooters. Might not look good these days :mysad:

I rode that bike up to Michigan from Florida and back and rode arround in Brownsville Texas for long time too. Poor town. $5 top wages.

Now looking back I realize how small the engine was. Well, I could do 70 -80 but not like the rice rockets of these days. I also don't like the idea of being crouched over all the time. I wann sit up and relax.

The perfect combination is a truck with a ramp tailgate and a motorcycle. When commuting and no load use the bike. When needed use the truck to haul heavy junk. When the bike breaks down, load it into the truck bed (via the ramp), when the truck breaks down, use the bike to get parts.

A couple of times I almost got killed on it. Drunks. One almost ran me over on I-95. Plus the 400 was a little light in the engine department. Engine ran like a freakin vibrator. Parts always falling off.

Come to think of it, maybe what you got is just right :clap:
RJ

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Honda 1200 - ride it whenever I can! Big engine but still gets over 50 MPG :)

Scottie-TX

Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region
Hmmmmmm;
No fenders.
Hmmmmmm;
So whaddya do when riding it in the rain - wear a wetsuit or wear an oversize shower cap on your proctoral assembly?

Hayson

Mar 2, 2008
Country
Region
Better hope it never blows the ceramic core out of the spark plug :eek: (I've seen it happen but not in a weedeater, high compression V8).

wingardclocks

Oct 1, 2007
Visit site
No fenders Scotty. Thats why I have a barometer, cant' trust what the weatherperson says.
I used to ride a big bike, 900cc. That was years ago. I gave it up after hitting a whitetail deer doing 60+ mph.

RJSoftware

Apr 15, 2005
Loxahatchee, Florida
Country
Region
wingardclocks;

So, what happened to you, the bike, the deer?

RJ

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Yeah, I gave up my motorcycle after broadsiding a car that jumped a stop sign (I was about 20 at the time). Figured I would live longer with 4 wheels under me:thumb: I still miss it, though:?|

al_taka

Feb 13, 2006
Wilson, NC
Country
Region
I gave it up many moons ago, about 24 years old. A broken ankle and two broken clavicles (shoulders) in three separate incidents made me realize I was having too much fun.
Still miss it.

Al T.

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Yep i gave up my motorbike too.Wiped out on a gravel raod at about 40 mph.
I can get in enough trouble just walking. :clap:

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Where is all that Yankee ingenuity. We should all have flux capacitors, hydrogen cars, cars fuelled with garbage, atomic cars. The gas engine is old technology, lets move on:thumb:

Scottie-TX

Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region
wingardclocks said:
I used to ride a big bike, 900cc. That was years ago. I gave it up after hitting a whitetail deer doing 60+ mph.
Understand. Yeah. I gave up deer hunting years ago too. Couldn't afford all the motorcycles ya needed.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Some of you have been to Vietnam I'm sure, and I'm predicting that it's going to look like that here soon. Very few cars, thousands of motorcycles and bicycles. They're talking $10.00 gas in the US and it's already a reality in Canada. Just a matter of time. BTW, there is no oil shortage! The US reserve would last 40 years by itself, with NO imports.

wingardclocks

Oct 1, 2007
Visit site
RJ,
Killed the dear, totaled the bike, from the impact I broke both wrists & arms, broke a bone in my hand. And when the dear bent in half from impact its rear smashed my leg into the engine breaking the leg too.
It was about 12 noon Aug. 2nd 1998, 90 degrees out on a country road. The dear shouldn't have been moving around, yet alone jumping out on the road at full speed. I only had a skid mark four feet long. Thats all the response time I had. Thats why I don't ride bike anymore. The cards are against me.

RJSoftware

Apr 15, 2005
Loxahatchee, Florida
Country
Region
wingardclock;

Man, you did it up right, that's for sure.

Me, besides almost getting killed. (I was on I-95 and suddenly I hear tires behind me slamming the brakes and skidding.

Some drunk woman car's power sliding sideways behind me and nearly flips sliding in the sand off the road.

I pulled over and drove on side of road back, to see if I could assist. I see her hiding her bottle in back seat as I'm approaching.

I spoke with her, well, she was a bit uncoherent. I told her hey you almost killed me. She didn't have much to say. Then she hit me up for a ride. I declined. Not that hot looking.

The only other thing worth mentioning is on some rainy day somebody stopped in front of me all the sudden and I went over the handle bars. Funny thing is, I slid on the palms of my hands several feet.

I got up and looked at my hands. They where slightly buffed and pink. Pure luck I guess.

Then some guy ran over to help me, asked if I was ok and then proceeded to help me lift my bike. Thing is he stood the bike up and roasted my leg on the hot muffler. Left a scar, but not really bad.

Certainly nothing like what you had happen...!

RJ

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Wingard,

I know this is OT but it did require some machine work you said.

Could you please post a few close-ups of the actual drive roller and hinge / spring? / hold down mechinism. Design changes you would make, etc.

Willie X

landco

Feb 3, 2007
wingardclocks said:
I don't use my car anymore for transportation to and from the clock shop. Check out the pics.
I bought gas power hedge trimmers at a yard sale for $5. After a little machining, eliminatimg the clutch, then mounting it, it goes between 15 & 17 mph. I use the water bottle for the gas tank, and get about 50-60 mile a bottle. Threw on a basket, high handle bars and a larger seat for comfort. I got an old shifting handle and cable from another bike and use that for the throttle.
great job.do you have a digram of how it is mounted? is it friction drive and if so how do you raise it off tht wheel to start the motor,i can't tell from the picture.

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
I saw a Delorean up close in Ottawa and took a few pictures of it, a pretty cool car, but a little pricey.
Motor bike accidents are always bad, you have no protection when you hit something.I see some people riding them in shorts, me i would not do that. :mysad:

RJSoftware

Apr 15, 2005
Loxahatchee, Florida
Country
Region
Excellent..!
:eek:
RJ

TonyR

NAWCC Member
Mar 4, 2005
wingardclocks said:
Hey, fix some blades to the pedals, get an extra long lead for your Mircroset, and you could time customer's clock while orbiting the yard and trimming their grass. Talk about a man for all seasons...

Regards,

TonyR.

mausclock

Jun 22, 2007
I'm surprised nobody here figured out how to put an 8 day spring on it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clockman1965
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller