ripple front moldings

Discussion in 'Clock Case Restoration and Repair' started by Michael Halloran, Aug 27, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Michael Halloran

Michael Halloran Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Can anyone suggest a source for the ripple moldings used on a JC Brown ripple front steeple clock?

2. Joseph Bautsch

Joseph Bautsch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 9, 2006
    Male
    Retired
    Atlanta, GA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Welcome to the message board. Post some photos so we can see what you are looking for. Finding the exact molding will be very difficult if not impossible. Most of the time you leave it as is or find one that is a reasonable facsimile.

3. tracerjack

tracerjack Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 6, 2016
    Female
    Lodi, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #3 tracerjack, Aug 30, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
    Looked up jc brown steeple ripple, and I don’t think you’ll find a source for that moulding. Beautiful stuff that I have never seen commercially. In the archives, Irwin Rosen recreated a machine to carve the ripple moulding, but I see he passed away in 2010. You may just have to carve it yourself or find a carver.

4. PatH

PatH National Program Chair
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Not that it's an ideal solution, but can you create a mold, then cast a piece from some of the existing molding? If you're good with stains, I've seen some good replicas of missing wooden pieces.

5. Sooth

Sooth Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 19, 2005
    Cabinetmaker
    Cornwall, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    At this point you have a few options:

1: find old stock
    2: get someone to CNC mill some to your spefifications ($$$)
    3: build a Moxon waving engine (a ripple moulding machine) and have a custom cutter made to the design you need. There are plans online available (loose plans) for a waving engine. It can be made from wood and a few parts, but this will be a time consuming effort. I had plans to build one, but never got the time to work on it.