Ridgeway Regulator Chimes

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by joyceonb, Oct 12, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. joyceonb

joyceonb Registered User

Oct 12, 2017
    Female
    Country Flag:
    I recently got my clock back from a family member and now the clock chimes an hour off only on hours 7, 8 and 9. All other hours and the quarter hour, half hour and three quarter hour are correct. What could be the problem?

2. JTD

JTD Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Welcome to the board.

When you say 'the chime is 'off' by an hour', do you mean an hour early or an hour late? After the 7,8,and 9 are past, does the clock automatically right itself and strike correctly thereafter?

A photo of the movement would help.

JTD

joyceonb likes this.
  3. wow

wow Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Male
    Retired Music Minister
    Pineville, La. (central La.)
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Welcome, Joy. It would help us help you if we understand certain terms. The chimes are the melody the clock plays every 15 minutes. The count on the hour is called strikes. Is your clock chiming right every 1/4 hour and striking wrong on those hours or chiming wrong on those hours? If we know that, we can help you.

joyceonb likes this.
  4. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    The snail may not positioned properly. The rack should always drop onto one of the snail's flats. Yours is probably mis-adjusted to drop onto the ramps that separate the flats. If you make the proper adjustment at the flat for the 11 strike, all the other hout counts pretty much must be correct.

Also, the snail or rack tail might be damaged or somehow slightly out of place.

Willie X

joyceonb likes this.
  5. JTD

JTD Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Willie, I don't think Joy is really a 'clock person' (yet!) - you may have to translate your message!

JTD

joyceonb likes this.
  6. joyceonb

joyceonb Registered User

Oct 12, 2017
    Female
    Country Flag:
    Yes..When it is 7:00 it chimes 6 times, when it is 8:00 it chimes 7 times and when it is 9:00 it chimes 8 times. Then at 10:00 it starts chiming correctly again until it is once again 7:00

7. joyceonb

joyceonb Registered User

Oct 12, 2017
    Female
    Country Flag:
    Sorry...Yes it does chime correctly, I guess it is what is called the strikes that are off.

8. joyceonb

joyceonb Registered User

Oct 12, 2017
    Female
    Country Flag:
    Obviously I am not a clock person yet as it seems I referred to strikes as chimes. I have no idea what a snail is on a clock.

9. kinsler33

kinsler33 Registered User

Aug 17, 2014
    Science teacher, writer
    Lancaster, Ohio, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It refers to the shape of a funny-looking brass plate-thing that rotates with the hour hand, but inside the clock. Its purpose is to let the rest of the clock know what number the hour-hand is pointing to, thus making sure that the correct number of strikes are, uh, struck.

It kind of sounds like another part, called the 'rack', is not falling onto the edge of the snail like it's supposed to because something is blocking it. The most likely blockage is dirt that's been mashed into the pivots, which we in the clock business refer to as "dirt that's been mashed into the pivots."

The solution is to clean the clock.

Mark Kinsler

10. joyceonb

joyceonb Registered User

Oct 12, 2017
    Female
    Country Flag:
    Thank you for your information. Would it be safe for a non clock person such as myself to clean the clock or should I take it to a clock repair?

11. JTD

JTD Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 27, 2005
    In order to clean it properly it needs to be taken apart completely, every wheel etc., so I think you would be well advised to take it to a clock repairer.

JTD

joyceonb likes this.
  12. harold bain

harold bain Forums Administrator
    Donor NAWCC Member

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    self-employed in the clock business
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Perhaps your "family member" might have some knowledge of why your clock is misbehaving. What did this family member do with your clock?

13. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    #13 Willie X, Oct 12, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    Joy,
    To repair your clock you will have to remove the movement, or maybe just the dial, and also learn the basic nomemclature so the people on the list can help you figure out exactly what the trouble is.
    The trouble you have is likely on the front of your clock movement and should not require for the movement to be taken apart. But, you may have to remove the movement, depending on how your clock is constructed.

Take out the movement, or possibly just remove the dial. Learn what and where the rack and snail parts are and post some close-up photos of these parts. Then some progress can be made.

I would be asking questions about 'what the family members did' too.
    Ha

Good luck, Willie X

joyceonb likes this.
  14. joyceonb

joyceonb Registered User

Oct 12, 2017
    Female
    Country Flag:
    Thank you I think that is what I will do.

15. joyceonb

joyceonb Registered User

Oct 12, 2017
    Female
    Country Flag:
    Thank you. Unfortunately, he passed away which is why I came back into possession of it.

16. joyceonb

joyceonb Registered User

Oct 12, 2017
    Female
    Country Flag:
    Although I am quite handy, I think this may be beyond my scope of expertise. I think I will be better off taking it into a clock repair shop. Does anyone have suggestions in the Long Beach, Ca area? Unfortunately, the family member has passed away and that is why I got it back.

17. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    I would recommend that you get a referal from someone who owns a mechanical clock. Outside of that, you can call the local jewelry stores, furniture stores, antique shops. Keep at it and you will get some clues about the actual person in your area that does clock repair.
    Take it to that person directly and make sure that the work will be done by that person and not sent out. When a clock is sent out for repair this usually doubles the price and puts you in a "third party" situation and this is not a good position to be in.

Good luck and wait a day or two, you may get a specific recomendation from the people on this list. Willie X

18. kinsler33

kinsler33 Registered User

Aug 17, 2014
    Science teacher, writer
    Lancaster, Ohio, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If there is any possibility that the clock sat idle for a very long time, as often happens with an inherited clock, leave it alone and let it run for a few months, inaccurate strike and all. If the problem is a sticky rack hook, it may loosen up with use. Yes, the clock needs to be cleaned, but if it's otherwise running okay, let it run and chime and strike through the winter and see if it improves. It won't hurt the clock and it may save you some money.

Or here's another alternative: Take a picture of the clock face and post it. Then we can probably tell you how to proceed, for if you can remove the dial, the fix will likely be fairly straightforward.

M Kinsler

19. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I would be most beneficial to get the picture after the rack drops - usually just before the hour chime finishes.