Ridgeway Grandfather Clock

cpeacock1

Jan 8, 2013
I recently acquired a Ridgeway Grandfather clock and would like to know more about it. Model 145, dial R-4, Movement HG HB-MP, insure about this line...FIND:HVOA4, serial 3481. I am assuming that it is from 1981, but would like to know the model name. Also would like to know what the original pendulum looked like as it is missing. This clock has some moisture damage on the bottom but my hu sband does woodworking so we shall take it apart and install new side panels to the bottem, hopefully we can breath some new life into this diamond in the rough. I have added pictures.

Attachments

doug sinclair

Aug 27, 2000
Calgary, Alberta
Country
Region
Welcome,

I have heard that the Ridgeway Clock Co. is now owned by the Howard Miller Clock Co. The most likely source for the information you seek would be the new owners.

Rockin Ronnie

NAWCC Member
Nov 18, 2012
Greenfield, Nova Scotia
antiquevintageclock.com
Country
Region
I have a Ridgeway that was made in 1996 with the Keininger movement. The dark oak case is in immaculate condition and the movement was serviced professionally just before I purchased it in the fall (2012). I figure if the movement fails in the next 5 years (though I will continue to service it) I will simply replace it because the clock is a beauty to look at and is accurate to within 30 seconds a week.

"This is my clock. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My clock is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My clock, without me, is useless. Without my clock I am useless .........."

Ron

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
cpea,

Spif has some Ridgeway books. He might have a picture.

It would likely have had a small lyre pendulum, but maybe a simple stick and bob pendulum. You can pick any pendulum you like. The length will be the tricky part, it has to match the movement.

Willie X

Bob Fisher

Jul 2, 2012
The movement may have a clue to the pendulum length. On the movement back usually there may be a number which refers jot the length in centimeters. Bob.

jdlippert

Feb 19, 2013
I have the same model clock. Dial-R4, Model 145, Movement-HG HB/MP, Finish-VOA4, Serial 52781. I've attached a picture of the pendulum. Hope this helps.

photo.jpg photo1.jpg

Attachments

Spaceman Spiff

Jun 19, 2006
St. Petersburg, Florida
www.myspace.com
Country
Region
I recently acquired a Ridgeway Grandfather clock and would like to know more about it. Model 145, dial R-4, Movement HG HB-MP, insure about this line...FIND:HVOA4, serial 3481. I am assuming that it is from 1981, but would like to know the model name. Also would like to know what the original pendulum looked like as it is missing. This clock has some moisture damage on the bottom but my hu sband does woodworking so we shall take it apart and install new side panels to the bottem, hopefully we can breath some new life into this diamond in the rough. I have added pictures.
cpea,
Spif has some Ridgeway books. He might have a picture.
It would likely have had a small lyre pendulum, but maybe a simple stick and bob pendulum. You can pick any pendulum you like. The length will be the tricky part, it has to match the movement.
Willie X
Hi, all.
Sorry for joining in so late. Yes, I have a few Ridgeway catalogs & brochures, but unfortunately they are not all-inclusive. I have a ca. 1967 catalog-brochure, a ca. 1972 brochure, a 1977 catalog, and a 1997 catalog. I'm sorry to say Model 145 is not listed in any of them.

I have quite a large gap between 1977 and 1997. If your clock is indeed from around 1981, that would explain why I'm not finding it. I'm really hoping to run across some catalogs from the 1980s or even in between some of the other gaps, but for the time being my references are limited.

Sorry I wasn't of more help.
Good luck,
John

David B Pendley

NAWCC Business
Aug 25, 2000
Country
Region
The high bridge and the silence levers look like a Hermle....Look on the back of movement with a dental mirror. Looks like a 451-050 probably a 94 cm. It should be marked.

Spaceman Spiff

Jun 19, 2006
St. Petersburg, Florida
www.myspace.com
Country
Region
I'm a little confused. I have a Ridgeway model 145 and it doesn't look at all like your clock. I am having a hard time trying to find out more about my clock. What year, etc. This sticker is inside mine
Thanks for bringing this to my attention, John. Interesting... Since we've seen the photo of the sticker in your clock clearly showing that it's model 145, I was now thinking that cpeacock1's clock must not really be a model 145. But then I saw one of the replies from someone else (jdlippert) who said they have the same model clock, model 145, and although their photos only show the lower part of their clock, I presume they're stating that their clock matches cpeacock1's. What a mystery!

I don't think I've ever encountered this before, where the same model number was used for two differently-styled clocks. I sure wish I could find some more Ridgeway catalogs!!

Perplexed,
John

JohnFromRoyalOak

Oct 26, 2013
Royal Oak, Mi.
Country
Region
Yes it IS a mystery....I've been going crazy trying to find anything I can about my clock on the internet. Tried all kinds of different avenues. Can not find one pic of my clock any where. I keep thinking to myself, am I the only one out there with this clock?? And now when I ran across this thread it just made things even more strange. Weird......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stu74111
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff