Ridgeway Grandfather Clock

DonnaFaillace

Jan 31, 2021
Country
I recently purchased a Ridgeway clock and I am trying to determine its age. The info from the tag is: Model# 164, Movement-W, Finish Cognac and Serial No. 124. Could anyone please help me or know where I could get this information? Thank you.

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
Hi, and welcome to the forums, DonnaFaillace. I'm not familiar with a list of Ridgeway models with dates, but if you could post a couple of pictures of the clock, the style may provide clues for those who are more knowledgeable.

DonnaFaillace

Jan 31, 2021
Country
I recently purchased a grandfather clock and I would like to find out some information about it. The model # is 164, Movement - W and Serial # 124. Anyone have an idea of how to find the age of the clock and information on how to care for it. It is in working condition and is keeping time, however the person I bought it from did not mark the weights before taking it down and I want to ensure that they are also hanging correctly. There is no markings on the weights themselves to show this. Any help would be appreciated.
Donna

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
I'm not sure why a new thread was started on this clock when a simple reply to the original thread would have sufficed. As Pat mentioned above, pictures of the clock (and, if possible, the movement) would go a long way toward our helping you.

DonnaFaillace

Jan 31, 2021
Country
I do apologize, I saw the heading regarding Ridgeway Grandfather clock in my searchs and thought whomever had answer the others questions may be available to answer mine as well following the thread. I can get pictures, however I do not know what a movement is. The information that I have was from the small paper attached to the inside behind the face of the clock.

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
Donna,
Are there two or three weights on your clock? If the clock is keeping time, striking and chiming correctly, it is likely that the weights are in the correct position. If there are issues with any of those functions, a brief description of what is happening will be very helpful in troubleshooting.

DonnaFaillace

Jan 31, 2021
Country
Donna,
Are there two or three weights on your clock? If the clock is keeping time, striking and chiming correctly, it is likely that the weights are in the correct position. If there are issues with any of those functions, a brief description of what is happening will be very helpful in troubleshooting.
There are 3 weights and the clock has been keeping correct time for 12 hours now. The chimes and striking are working correctly as well. I just got it yesterday. I'm not sure how the moon phase is suppose to work on the clock. I was able to get a picture of the clock itself. I still don't know what the "movement" is but the paper says Movement-W.

WIN_20210201_11_38_45_Pro.jpg WIN_20210201_12_55_24_Pro.jpg

Toughtool

Aug 12, 2016
Panama City, FL
Country
My 1989 Ridgeway book says" The weights are marked on the bottom L (Left) , C (Center), R (Right). Hang each weight in order as you stand facing the clock." This is for cable driven movements. It is the same for chain driven movements. If you have the weights out of order they will not fall about the same distance each day. The weights weigh different as some operations of the movement require more energy than others. Hope this helps. Joe

P.S. You may want to look here for Ridgeway manual and setup guides:

Last edited:

Spaceman Spiff

Jun 19, 2006
St. Petersburg, Florida
www.myspace.com
Country
Region
Hi, Donna.

Sorry for the delay with my response. (I only come into the Forum every couple/few months).

Your clock Model 164 is known as the "Tuscany." It shows in the 1977 catalog, so your clock would have been manufactured somewhere around that period.

At that time your clock had a manufacturer's suggested retail price of $1279. But keep in mind that new clocks are like new cars--their value greatly decreases the moment they leave the showroom floor, and it takes many years to regain value as a "classic." (Plus, clocks are no longer bringing the prices they used to, since less and less people are collecting them).

Attached is an image from the 1977 catalog.

Hope this helps!
Sincerely,
John

Ridgeway model 164 The Tuscany (1977) 01.jpg Ridgeway model 164 The Tuscany (1977) 02.jpg

Reactions: DonnaFaillace

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
che63
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre