ridgeway grandfather clock

coryh

May 3, 2013
hi, i recently bought a grandfather clock from a garage sell, and i tried to look up info on but came up with nothing, its a ridgeway grandfather clock the papers say model 274 and the oldest date i could find was 1985, if anyone has any info on this clock it would be a huge help. sorry the pictures arent to clear i took them from my phone

Attachments

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Hi, Cory, welcome to the message board. Ridgeway clocks usually have a serial number on the inside of the door, or close by on the case. Sometimes they are date coded. On the back of the movement there may also be a date code. If you can find any numbers we might be able to accurately date it.

coryh

May 3, 2013
hi harold, there was a serial number on the inside of the door the number is 85018384

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
That confirms a manufacture date of 1985. Good chance at 28 years old, it's due for major servicing.

coryh

May 3, 2013
actually the clock is in really good condition, the only thing it needs is chains for the weights, there are almost no scratches on the outside a few on the back where is scraped the wall it looks, and some on the inside where it looks like the thing that rocks back and forth may have hit and thats about it

coryh

May 3, 2013
someone told me it looks like a reproduction is why im trying to find out if it is legit or not

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
I suppose it's a reproduction of a style used in the 1890's. The weights don't have chains, they have cables. I would suggest you get a professional to help you get it working. You have a lot to learn to get far enough to do this yourself.

coryh

May 3, 2013
oh i wasnt ganna attemp to myself lol, i was going by what the previous owner told me lol, im ganna have someone fix it for me this is the first grandfather clock ive owned

coryh

May 3, 2013
also i found some paper work inside the clock, with a receipt of sale from 1985, so could that possible prove that this clock is not a reproduction?

Tinker Dwight

Oct 11, 2010
Calif. USA
It is an original reproduction. It is not a reproduction of a 1985 clock, it is a reproduction
of a 1890 clock.
Most late 1900's clocks are made in the style of 1870 to 1920 GF clocks.
They would then be considered reproductions.
It is a real 1985 clock.
As far as condition, Harold was talking about the mechanical part of
the clock. If it had been running for most of the last 37 years without
a service, it will most likely need serious work on the movement.
Most likely costing around the price you payed for the clock.
Tinker Dwight

coryh

May 3, 2013
thank you for explaining it tinker, but i picked the clock of for $100 at a garage sell lol

Tinker Dwight

Oct 11, 2010
Calif. USA
That is a good price but still expect to pay several times
that for the movement repairs or replacement.
1985 movements were not made with the same longevity
that you'd see in a 1890 GF clock.
Still If the case is in as good a shape as you say you
got a good deal.
Tinker Dwight

coryh

May 3, 2013
thanks for the heads up, and yea i couldnt pass it up, thank you all for the help :)