Ridgeway grandfather clock pine

ilchick47

Jan 5, 2021
Country
I just purchased a Ridgeway grandfather clock. The tag on the inside says Model R6150 Movement G finish H pine serial number 1046 Ridgeway division of Gravely Furniture company Ridgeway Virginia 24148 Any Idea what year it way made please

Dick Feldman

Sep 1, 2000
Colorado, usa
Country
Region
Furniture manufacturer numbers are sometimes elusive.
Can you give the information from the rear plate of the movement?
That may give more reliable information.
Pictures of the rear of the movement would suffice.
Dick

Dick Feldman

Sep 1, 2000
Colorado, usa
Country
Region
That is an old series Urgos clock movement. Urgos went out of business near 2002.
Sometime near 2005 the name and assets of Urgos were purchased by Hermle and a new numbering system was established for Hermle made movements.
Your movement bears the old numbering system so that makes it older than 2005 ( and probably earlier than 2002). The Urgos name is used by Hermle today and some model movements are made to replace the original Urgos designs. A replacement for your movement, however, is not one that is available through Hermle.
Ridgeway was purchased by Howard Miller of Zeeland Michigan in 2004.
You might try to contact Howard Miller to see if any old records are available.

Best,

Dick

ilchick47

Jan 5, 2021
Country
Wow that is great information I didn't know that the Movement was from Urgos clock movements. I did find information on the original Ridgeway company and the purchases of the actual company but nothing on the year it might have been built. It is a beautiful clock and well taken care of . Thank you so much for that info. The person I purchased it from thought it was bought in the 1970's it belonged to her 90 year old parents. Hoping she finds the paperwork on the clock if I get it will share

Dick Feldman

Sep 1, 2000
Colorado, usa
Country
Region
Well cared for may have lots of meanings. It may be they dusted the case regularly.
Clock movements of of that vintage have a life span and that is about 25 years.
Clock movements are machines and will wear like any other machine.
You may see reliability problems, especially with the chime train. The chime train is the train that needs the most power,
the heaviest weight and normally will be the first of the three to fail.
Even though a new replacement is not available, you have the option of someone rebuilding the original movement.
A proper rebuild of that movement will not be cheap.
I say proper because there are plenty of clock repair people out there who do shoddy work.
A cheap repair will result in a short lived repair.
Many times a clock is offered for sale because the movement needs to be rebuilt.
Seldom are clocks in good shape offered for sale.
I hope you have found the exception.
Best Regards,
Dick

ilchick47

Jan 5, 2021
Country
Well cared for may have lots of meanings. It may be they dusted the case regularly.
Clock movements of of that vintage have a life span and that is about 25 years.
Clock movements are machines and will wear like any other machine.
You may see reliability problems, especially with the chime train. The chime train is the train that needs the most power,
the heaviest weight and normally will be the first of the three to fail.
Even though a new replacement is not available, you have the option of someone rebuilding the original movement.
A proper rebuild of that movement will not be cheap.
I say proper because there are plenty of clock repair people out there who do shoddy work.
A cheap repair will result in a short lived repair.
Many times a clock is offered for sale because the movement needs to be rebuilt.
Seldom are clocks in good shape offered for sale.
I hope you have found the exception.
Best Regards,
Dick

ilchick47

Jan 5, 2021
Country
Thank you Dick for all that useful information
I will enjoy the clock as long as I can I only have a small amount invested in the clock and right now it keeps perfect time and chimes on the money literally I rehung the weights and pendulum and it began working

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Pine furniture was very popular in the late 60s thru 1970s era. Spiff might be able to find it in his catalogs. Willie X

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stu74111
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff