• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Function Ridgeway E or G pendulum problem

Sep 12, 2021
Country
My circa 1979 Ridgeway sat in storage for about 4 years before I was able to move it from Bozeman, MT to Seattle WA a couple weeks ago. The weights and pendulum were removed when it went into storage. I set it up, leveled it and tried to get it to start but the pendulum just slows to a stop. I can see (escapement?? rocker arm) move but nothing else. Moving this thing is a real pain but i really want to get it working - what should I look for? The weight looks kind of high - could it be to wound too tight? What more do you need too know to help me get this guy working? 20210912_193052.jpg
20210912_193052.jpg

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
OK, here are some random thoughts as I’m waiting for my dinner to cook.

Mechanical clocks need to be serviced every 5 to 10 years for optimal results. It is quite possible that the lubrication has dried up over the last four years.

These clocks were built in the 70s with movements designed to last around 25 years. If the movement is worn, that would also contribute to making it stop.Every gear is mounted on an arbor, with small pins called pivots at each end of the arbor. Those pivots go into pivot holes in the front and back plates. Those pivot holes need to be perfectly round, with no gunk in them. Unfortunately particulate matter and dried oil can gunk them up and introduce friction. The only way mechanical clocks one as expected is a fraction is reduced as much as possible.

Getting the clock level is not the goal… Getting it in beat is. Read this article: https://mb.nawcc.org/wiki/Encyclopedia-Subjects/Clock-Repair/Beat-Setting-101

There is a crutch pin that needs to go through the slot in the pendulum… Maybe you could provide some photos of the back of the move-in so we can see how things are set up?

There’s not really a way to over wind a clock… Unless you wind it so hard you break something. if you have room to move you can unhook that center weight from the chain and rehang the chain so that the weight is lower and you can see what’s going on.

post some photos looking into the movement and showing how the pendulum is connected up. You can also take a movie, upload it to YouTube, and then copy and paste the URL into a post here and the video will be auto embedded… That way we can watch and see if there’s any visible obvious reason why it’s not running.

I think that’s a good starting point… Let’s see if we can get this thing going

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Probably an Urgos UW-32 movement. These movements can make it past the 40 year mark but not usually.

A oil and adjust may get you going again but a full overhaul, or replacement movement, is in your near future.

Good luck, Willie X

Sep 12, 2021
Country
Thanks for the replies. I set the pendulum to swinging and it goes for about a minute but the clock advances 2 minutes (I will time how long it swings to make sure that I have that correct).
I am trying to figure out how to take a movie of the movement w/o taking the works apart - I may try shots from the left, right and overhead.

I keep setting the pendulum in motion hoping that it kicks something into gear (sorry, bad pun) - the quarter hour chimes work.

Sep 12, 2021
Country
So, after swinging the pendulum for a couple days, I managed to go through the hour: discovered that the hour chime and the quarter hour chime works but the half hour and the 3/4 hour do not. The pendulum does actually swing (like England do - 60s reference) for about 2+ minutes. I'll just keep swinging it until it starts on its own or I find someone who can repair it.

Thanks for the replies

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
john33g
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-