Ridgeway Clock

jfelber1

New User
Oct 13, 2022
Country
Husband inherited a Ridgeway Clock 15 years ago, we were wondering what it was worth. The model number says 130, Movement E, Finish F/W, and serial# 1216

bruce linde

NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
sadly, not much... there are many of these languishing on various for sale sites as they are not desirable for serious clock collectors who want older/higher quality clocks.

yours is from the 70s-80s, and movements made after 1950-ish were designed with a 25-ish-yr life span... it's typically more cost-effective to replace one of those movements than have it serviced professionally. the quality just isn't the same as in clocks over 100 years old... and 'cost effective' is still at least a few hundred bucks... and for that kind of dough you could pick up something much better on craigslist. search for 'grandfather clock' on your local craigslist and you'll see a bunch of listings just languishing.

if you like it and it's running, enjoy it until it someday stops.

if it's not running, i don't know what to tell you... except that mechanical clocks need to be serviced every 5-10 years, and if you don't know when yours was last serviced it needs it... but may not be worth the effort/money.

(sorry!)

jfelber1

New User
Oct 13, 2022
Country
sadly, not much... there are many of these languishing on various for sale sites as they are not desirable for serious clock collectors who want older/higher quality clocks.

yours is from the 70s-80s, and movements made after 1950-ish were designed with a 25-ish-yr life span... it's typically more cost-effective to replace one of those movements than have it serviced professionally. the quality just isn't the same as in clocks over 100 years old... and 'cost effective' is still at least a few hundred bucks... and for that kind of dough you could pick up something much better on craigslist. search for 'grandfather clock' on your local craigslist and you'll see a bunch of listings just languishing.

if you like it and it's running, enjoy it until it someday stops.

if it's not running, i don't know what to tell you... except that mechanical clocks need to be serviced every 5-10 years, and if you don't know when yours was last serviced it needs it... but may not be worth the effort/money.

(sorry!)
Thank You, We were just curious about it, the warranty card we found said the delivery date was 5-17-67, One year before my husband was born, it has a lot of sentimental value to him, as for working we are not really sure 8 years ago when we moved we never put the chimes? back on. Can you tell me what the F/W for the finish means?

bruce linde

NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
i'm not a ridgeway guy... all of my GF clocks are between 100 and 200+ years old. :)

to add to my previous comments.... sentimental value trumps all. there are nawcc chapter members (perhaps nearby?) who might take on restoring (or replacing) the movement for less than an actual shop. in the sf bay area several clock shops have closed and the wait time for servicing can be as much as years (!).

but... even though i go through all of my clocks when i get them and make sure they're serviced and running, you may not need yours to be running and might be fine with appreciating that it's there, and a reminder of where it came from, the family, etc. ... in which case you're good to go. :)

Spaceman Spiff

Jun 19, 2006
St. Petersburg, Florida
www.myspace.com
Country
Region
Hi, jfelber1.

I have a few old Ridgeway catalogs. I believe the F/W stands for Fruitwood, and movement E stands for "three weight driven, 8 chime rods, Westminster chimes, Big Ben gong."

Model #130 is one of those rare numbers where Ridgeway strangely used the same number for two different models--the Cornwall and the Lady Madeline. (See attached two images). The Cornwall image is from my ca. 1967 catalog, so perhaps that might resemble your clock. The Lady Madeline image is from my ca. 1972 catalog.

Hope this helps!
Sincerely,
John

Ridgeway model 130 Cornwall aka Lady Cornwall (1967).jpg Ridgeway model 130 Lady Madeline (ca. 1972).jpg

Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

NAWCC Forums

Find member

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
grandeman
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions