• We are aware of the performance issues with the forum. These are due to problems with Comcast's shared lines in the Columbia, PA area. On December 15, we signed a contract to bring a dedicated fiber line to the forum servers. It should take somewhere between 30 and 90 days to install. Thank you for your patience.

Ridged solder

disciple_dan

NAWCC Member
Donor
Mar 10, 2016
Plant City
Country
Region
I'm repairing a count wheel stop lever and I was thinking it needs to have some rigidity because it will undoubtedly need to be bent to adjust it properly. All I have on hand is soft solder. What is recommended for this type of work? Thank you, Danny
20211128_091514.jpg

Jerry Kieffer

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
May 31, 2005
wisconsin
Country
I'm repairing a count wheel stop lever and I was thinking it needs to have some rigidity because it will undoubtedly need to be bent to adjust it properly. All I have on hand is soft solder. What is recommended for this type of work? Thank you, Danny
View attachment 682986
Dan
As your probably aware, its my opinion that soft solder should not be used in Horological repair unless originally used by the manufacturer or maker. This of course being no exception.

My personal method of repair is to replace the lever as follows.

(1) Drill out the original arbor hole to a friction fit to the new wire.

(2) Place the new wire tightly in a vise per the attached photo leaving a stub out the end per arrow

(3) Next, I drive the arbor on to the new wire stub with a brass hammer.

(4) The new wire can now be formed as desired.

Jerry Kieffer

fullsizeoutput_8ec.jpeg

Reactions: roughbarked

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I agree with Jerry's method. If your original wire just came out (as opposed to breaking off) you could use it again. Push it through the hole, splay the end, hammer it back in. Easy peezy.

Reactions: roughbarked

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dgosney
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller