"Rhythm" quartz mechanical bim-bam (from Bulova clock)

Discussion in 'Electric Horology' started by kinsler33, Sep 8, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. kinsler33

kinsler33 Registered User

Aug 17, 2014
    Male
    Science teacher, writer
    Lancaster, Ohio, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This particular sweetie is a continuous-motion quartz movement with a mechanical bim-bam strike. I'd replace the whole thing but they're around $100, so I'm trying for a repair. There are two controls: a pull-to-set stem that seems to do nothing in it's un-pulled position, and a mechanical stem that locks the two hammers together to provide a non-bim-bam strike rather than a bim-bam. And that's it. One D cell powers the whole mess.

The problem is that the strike doesn't always strike. I haven't found a pattern. It's vigorous enough when it does strike, and the pair of contacts that starts the strike work well, except when they don't. For there is a clear plastic finger controlled by a cam on an intermediate wheel of the time movement that blocks the contacts so they won't close on the hour or half hour.

When the strike does work, it's interesting because this clock uses a regular rack and snail to count the strikes.
    These can be seen through the window at the front of the clock.

I suspect that this thing has some magic features that aren't quite working or too obscure for me to understand. Any ideas?

Mark Kinsler

IMG_5501.JPG IMG_5502.JPG IMG_5504.JPG