• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center will reopen starting Wednesday, January 6, 2021 as per Governor Wolf's reopening mandate.

Kundo Reviving Kundo Magnetic

Tom234b

Apr 1, 2020
Country
Hi everyone- I'm trying to re-setup an electomagnetic Kundo, the type that has a shaft (with magnet inside), that swings back and forth within an electomagnetic coil (powered by a 1.5 battery), which creates the beat of the clock and power. I do basic clock repairs but am not at all knowledgeable with any type of small or large electonic item.

So when I got the clock, I had to take off the coil to get to the wires coming out, so I could extend them. Having it apart, I decided to test the electromagnet by putting 1.5 Volts through it via a D cell, and see what it did. First, however, I tested my D cell on a 1.5v tester, and then decided to see where the needle on the tester went if the electromagnet was hooked up too. (I have no volt-meter and am not an "electronics guy", like I said). So the battery tester needle goes way up over "good" when just the battery is "in the loop". However, put the electromagnet "in the loop" with the battery and the needle goes, perhaps 1//4 the way to "good". Furthermore, putting a paper clip withing the electromagnetic coil has no effect on the clip, and the clip does not stick to the outside of the coil when powered up. Just a small run-of-the-mill magnet attracts and holds the paper clip.

So to conclude, I got the whole thing at very little cost. If it's not going to work, then it's not going to work. Does any of the above description indicate anything?

Thanks very much, Tom

Tom234b

Apr 1, 2020
Country
Hi ____- Thanks for responding. I went through an hour's worth of posts related to my clock, trying to learn what I could, before I posted. There is (was?) no circuit board and I assumed I had a coil with an internal switch that I would not be able to work on without expending a lot of luck and time. And it is currently apart. Here is a photo off of the discussion board from another post, clock looks about the same but my base is round, not oval. (copy & paste to browser) https://mb.nawcc.org/attachments/dsc01372-jpg.88893/

In any event, I was hoping my description fiddling with the battery and magnet might mean something to someone. Thinking about it now, if it has some kind of internal switch in there, there is a chance it is currently switched on or something. Who knows. I'll put it back together. If I can't get it to run, I'll chaulk it up to experience and sell it for $5 at a yard sale.
Tom A.