Revisions to "The Modern Watchmakers Lathe" by Archie Perkins...???

Discussion in 'Horological Books' started by cazboy, Jul 25, 2011.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. cazboy

cazboy Registered User

Apr 27, 2006
    Retired!
    Prescott Valley, Arizona
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This past weekend I ordered a copy of Archie Perkins's "The Modern Watchmaker's Lathe and How To Use It" online, from Ronell Clock Company. I just came home from errands to find an email from Ronell Clock Co. telling me that my order cannot be completed because they "heard from my supplier that the book is being revised and will not be available time soon". So they're just cancelling my order.

Does anyone know anything about the pending revisions? Has this book ever been revised before, like the Horolvar 400-day clock book (it is revised frequently)? My only concern is that I want my own copy - I don't want to borrow one - I just want to buy my own. But now, it appears if I buy one it will obviously be the one before revisions. So - how long until the revised version is out? If it's going to be another year, then it's not worth the wait; I'll just hunt for whatever version is available. But if the revised version is due for release shortly, then patience will have its reward.

2. Fortunat Mueller-Maerki

Fortunat Mueller-Maerki National Library Chair
    NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Male
    Horological Bibliographer -
    Sussex New Jersey USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  3. FDelGreco

FDelGreco Registered User
    NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Member Sponsor

Aug 28, 2000
    Male
    Retired chemical engineer
    Novelty, OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Unfortunately, the web site doesn't give the copyright date of the version they are selling -- is it the 2003 version or 2011?

Frank Del Greco

4. cazboy

cazboy Registered User

Apr 27, 2006
    Retired!
    Prescott Valley, Arizona
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have the same concern that Frank has - my question has still not been answered. But, if they're the publishers, then I'll just ask them when the revised version will be released.

By the way, I replied to Ronell's email with a request to just buy whatever they have on hand.

5. Andy Dervan

Andy Dervan Registered User
    Gibbs Literary Award NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Member

Oct 23, 2002
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello Cazboy,

I thought Archie's book was published by American Watch and Clock Institute (AWCI) in Harrison, OH, because I wanted to buy a copy from him when I saw him in CO last summer, and he told me to contact AWCI.

I had forgotten about until I saw your email.

If book is being updated, he is not involved in any updates to it.

Andy Dervan

6. cazboy

cazboy Registered User

Apr 27, 2006
    Retired!
    Prescott Valley, Arizona
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello Andy,

Good to hear from you! You're right, "The Modern Watchmakers Lathe" by Archie Perkins is indeed published by AWCI. I've since acquired a copy from a member of one of the other Yahoo groups I'm on, and it's a wonderful book, in my estimation.

I have no explanation for why I was told that the book was unavailable because of forthcoming revisions. I tend to be skeptical of that claim, now.

7. bjr72

bjr72 Registered User

Dec 12, 2010
    I heard that Perkins book, "The Watchmakers Lathe and How to Use It" is being re-printed again and will be bundled with another book just completed, "Antique Watch Restoration Volume I".
    ETA about 2-3 months.
    Can anyone else confirm this?

8. Watchfixer

Watchfixer Registered User

Jun 11, 2011
    TV repair tech.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Wanted to get a copy of this book but any status on this? Also is there other sellers that sells these book?

Cheers, Watchfixer

9. skippp66

skippp66 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 29, 2010
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I recently spent 4+ hours on the internet contacting every antique book shop I could think of...dozens and dozens in all. It is extremely hard to find! I was able to find only 2 copies of "The Modern Watchmaker's Lathe and How to Use It" by Archie Perkins: one from a bookstore in North Carolina for $265 and another from a bookstore in New England at $200. I bit the bullet and purchased the latter which is the 2003 edition and it arrived in mint condition. It looks like it was never opened. The quality of the paper, ink and print is all topnotch. I was going to await the AWI edition but the delays and my concerns about the possibility of editing errors, cheap binding, cheap paper and hard to read print concerned me. Also, the book has an incredible number of detailed photographs and drawings which, if not reproduced in a quality fashion, will seriously detract from the book's usefulness. There is a lot that goes into a quality book and I wonder if AWI has the fortitude to produce a reprint to match the quality of the original. Also, I wonder what the price will be. I understand that AWI is now taking orders for his book on antique watch restorations at $100 a pop!
    Skip, that Hamilton Nut

10. richiec

richiec Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    automotive warranty inspector
    Brick, Ocean, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I am glad I bought mine at the museum bookstore a couple of years ago for $81.00, seems like a bargain now.

11. Todd W

Todd W Registered User

Mar 6, 2004
    I see that the awci has the book on Antique Watch Restoration on there websight book store, anybody get a copy?

12. bjr72

bjr72 Registered User

Dec 12, 2010

So here's an idea... instead of spending 4 hours surfing (which I did as well, and found the same 2003 publications you did, but choose not to buy them), why not support the AWCI and it's efforts at publishing Perkins stuff? And if the quality is not up to the 2003 print standards, then lets all jump on the bandwagon and complain together and say, "hey, AWCI, we'll pay $150 for a book with better quality printing" because some of us are willing to pay $200 on a hunch that the 2003 copy is superior.

It's such a small market segment, lets try and support the authors and AWCI. Without them, we wouldn't even have the 2003 version.

So yeah, I'm still holding out for the book.... because I want them to make a profit, stay in business, and continue giving us great books.

But I do see where you are coming from. I am the same way... I hate lower quality re-prints.... and the Gingery line of books is a good example of crappy re-prints. You have a point... and if it comes to that, well, then, what can I do.... return the $100 book, I guess.

13. Kevin Scott

Kevin Scott Registered User

Aug 2, 2011
    Country Flag:
    As a side note, If you have a complete set of Horological Times from about 1980 to 2000? you will have all the info from Perkins Lathe book, Staking tool book, and also I believe the Vintage restoration book.

I have all the Horological Times, and have the articles indexed in my file card system. But still bought Perkin's Lathe book when it came out, because the info is so good, and it is easier to retrieve when in book form.

Also have his Staking tools book, which I think is included in his new Vintage Restoration book, which I don't have.

14. Firegriff

Firegriff Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 22, 2013
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I purchased the book today from AWCI for $99.00 on line prices for the 2 I found were around $250.00.