Reversible pocketwatch cases

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by jess tauber, Nov 10, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. jess tauber

jess tauber Registered User

Dec 24, 2017
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hi folks. On ebay auctions over the past decade I've noticed that reversible pocketwatch cases, such as made by Muckle, or Northwest Case (Co.?), fetch large prices when they show up, even when silveroid/nickle-silver. My question is, given that their patents have long fizzled out, why nobody is making reproductions (unless the entire collecting hobby is so sparsely populated that it wouldn't be profitable). Thoughts? Thanks!

Jess Tauber

2. Rick Hufnagel

Rick Hufnagel Just Rick!
    NAWCC Member Donor Sponsor

Oct 25, 2018
    Male
    Plumber
    Pittsburgh pa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I never thought about a reproduction reversible case, but I have often wondered why no one ever cranked out a few hundred display cases... There has to be a market for them...

The problem I think... No company would want to make a small batch of cases... You'd have to have a rather large initial investment, and have a lot of them made. Or else pay someone for a bespoke case... Which would be a whole new realm of expensive.

If you have a few hundred made, and get stuck sitting on 2/3 of them for ten years... Life is not going to be fun. On the other hand... Who knows.. they may sell like crazy.

Do people want a reproduction reversible case:???: Or do they want a really neat original piece of watch case history.

3. jess tauber

jess tauber Registered User

Dec 24, 2017
    Male
    Country Flag:
    For me the movement is the main thing- precious metals mean little to me. As for display cases- people HAVE made them in recent years- ebay is full of them, some for wristwatches as well as those for pocketwatches. I also wish people somewhere would make display wristwatch cases in 18s size. The average person of course would want something smaller. i don't mind the extra weight on my wrist. Such large sizes display wristwatch cases DO exist- I've seen them online.

Jess Tauber

4. Rick Hufnagel

Rick Hufnagel Just Rick!
    NAWCC Member Donor Sponsor

Oct 25, 2018
    Male
    Plumber
    Pittsburgh pa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Ya.. I know those ones..

The big wristwatch cases for 18s are around, there was a guy at the north coast regional with a pile of em. Said someone out of California is making them. I'm a bigger dude.. but an 18s wristwatch may be a bit large for me ... haha, but kudos to anyone who can haul that around on their wrist. They were very interesting to check out. They certainly command attention! It may be a fun project to do one day though. I think 45mm is the upper end of my size threshold.