Retangular Hoadley Tall CLock Dial

Discussion in 'Wood Movement Clocks' started by Jim DuBois, Aug 11, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jim DuBois

Jim DuBois Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Itinerate clock purveyor and amateur restorer
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    We came across this little clock while in NY last week. It has a traditional case with an arched dial cut out, but behind the mask, we found this rather unusual dial. The movement is a traditional and normal Hoadley 60 hr pull up movement. The case is entirely normal, just rectangular dial instead of the normal arched dial on the movement. As you can see it has lived its life in the arched case.....a number of very experienced clock people looked at this, including a couple of high powered dealers and researchers, and a few bon vivants and some itinerate rug merchants... (that could be me and is an expression tending toward humor.) In any case no one had seen anything like this and we did show it to a number of experts and COG counters and a moderator or two.....but I repeat myself...

It was purchased by a friend so further research is planned....

2. George Nelson

George Nelson Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Retired
    Tennessee
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi, Jim and All,

Jim, is this dial decidedly a one-piece? Did you get a chance to look at the back or get a picture of it? I have never come close to seeing anything like it.

George

3. Jim DuBois

NAWCC Member Donor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #3 Jim DuBois, Aug 12, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    I did not take any other photos of it but several of us did inspect it closely. It is conventional in all respects save the form. It is one piece. Everything about it looks proper. It is from all visible clues original to the movement and of the same period as the movement. Not a later addition or modification. As mentioned I suspect the owner will be able to provide more information when he gets back home with the clock. He has been traveling, visiting the New Hampshire Antiques week shows, and should be back home soon. He collects wood works tall clocks and has many.....

4. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User
    Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I love the dirt marks on the dialplate which add to your argument of originality. I don't doubt it.

What I do find a bit surprising is that so much of the decoration has been hidden. Is it a mask that makes that outline or the door?

5. George Nelson

George Nelson Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Retired
    Tennessee
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi, All,

While not at all greatly experienced in wood tall clocks, the more and more I look at this particular dial, the more mysterious it becomes to me. It almost appears as if the upper decoration could be an afterthought of some kind, as while I know it certainly is original and was made that way, it is a little, for lack of a better term, "un-artistic". The delineation between the upper and lower parts of the decorations is a bit thin to me and almost of a different decorative style. I think I would have expected all of the corner fans to match, but in this case, the upper fans are much bolder than are the lower ones. Most unusual indeed... It will be great to learn more about this one, and I'm looking forward to it! Jim has presented us all with a great mystery, and I heartily thank him.

Best to all,

George

6. Jim DuBois

NAWCC Member Donor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Generally we tend to associate any clock cases with rectangular dial openings as a potential Ives case. But this dial changes that assumption, be it only slightly. The Hoadley clock and movement was said to have come out of a Pennsylvania small auction, so there is no backtracing of its history so far. See the attached photo for a typical Ives case and rectangular dial.

I have to agree the Hoadley dial decoration is not graceful. It is also unfortunate that someone became a bit over zealous in cleaning of the exposed surfaces. That is a Mason symbol in the arch, which may or may not add anything to the discussion. The case, of which I have no photo, is very typical, a bit country, and is of cherry. When I get more photos of the movement and case and dial I will add them here. I have heard from the current clock owner this AM so more will be available soon.

7. Jim DuBois

NAWCC Member Donor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Since the photos seem lost on this clock dial I am going to add them just to maintain the record as this is a most unusual dial. No others have been found since this one surfaced, no photos, nobody recalls even seeing one...the case is a fooler as it looks like a completely common Hoadley dial with the hood on. And it appears as if the movement has been in the case all along, if not originally, it has been there for a very long time. The dirt under the clock dial mask on the dial matches the opening etc....no extra shims under the seat board, etc.

2017-10-12 14.23.34.jpg 2017-10-12 14.24.29.jpg 20170804_074342.jpg 20170804_074345.jpg IMG_0080.JPG