Resurrected From The Dead

Discussion in 'Clock Case Restoration and Repair' started by Joseph Bautsch, Apr 20, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Joseph Bautsch

Joseph Bautsch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 9, 2006
    Male
    Retired
    Atlanta, GA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Attached are two photos of a kitchen clock I just finished restoring. It was a E. Ingraham "Ocean" series, "Atlantic". But it came with a New Haven works, in pieces, in a plastic bag. I found it on line for $5 and $7.50 shipping. That's it in the plastic box and how I received it. The seller said that was the condition it was in when he got it. The back board was split in three pieces, the oak pressed pattern top was split in two pieces and none of the other parts were connected together. All of the door joints had come apart. Its only saving grace was the glass was not broken and the decal was in fair shape. The wood was black, and nothing would touch it. For $5 I could do some experimenting. I used several different chemicals that did nothing to lighten up the black color in the wood, not even aircraft paint stripper. I finally used regular laundry bleach mixed about 50/50 with water. Left it on there overnight, the next morning I found it had turned a ghastly bright yellow. Well so much for that experiment. I tossed it in a cornor in my shop and left it there for about a month thinking I would toss it out with the trash when I got around to it. Looked at it one day and to my surprise it had turned to a very light color Oak. I finished cleaning the case pieces with white vinegar and water, stained them with "American Antique" wood stain and finished with four coats of shellac. The only parts to the works that were missing was the springs and the pendulum hanger. To finish it off I also had to get a dial pan, print a paper dial, and a set of hands. I pulled a pendulum, gong and base from my scrap parts bin. It didn't turn out too bad for something I had just about given up hope for. What am I going to do with another Kitchen Clock? I already have about a dozen at last count. So this one will be donated to the Good Mews cat shelter my wife is active with for their annual fund raising auction. The moral of this story, never say never.

, 0.jpeg 0-1.jpeg

Dave T likes this.
  2. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Really nice work! I love it when a basket case is brought back to life!

Dave T likes this.
  3. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Underwater Robotics Expert
    Downingtown, Pennsylvania USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nice! My favorite clocks are the ones that require the most work. There's something satisfying about completing the transformation. I 'm sure you have a similar feeling.

Tom

4. Joseph Bautsch

NAWCC Member

Dec 9, 2006
    Male
    Retired
    Atlanta, GA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Tom, you are absolutely correct there is no satisfaction for me unless there is restoration work to be done. Besides that I can't afford the pristine clock you just hang on the wall. So the majority of my collection came to me as this one did as a basket case. There is a lot to be said about preserving a clock in its antique condition but in this case there was nothing to preserve except to give it a new life.

wcampbell likes this.
  5. wcampbell

wcampbell Registered User

Nov 25, 2013
    Male
    Aircraft Mechanic / Contractor
    Wiesbaden Germany
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Very nice job! really satisfying when you can breath life back into something that most people give up on.

6. Joseph Bautsch

NAWCC Member

Dec 9, 2006
    Male
    Retired
    Atlanta, GA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It's all in the challenge to rebuild something that would be normally be tossed in the trash. Thanks for the kind comments.

Dave T likes this.