Restoring unusual Tall Clock

Discussion in 'Clock Case Restoration and Repair' started by tom427cid, Feb 1, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. tom427cid

tom427cid Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Cabinetmaker,clock repair
    Moultonborough,NH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This case came to me to be restored/reglued !!. It was in pretty sad shape. It had been reglued a couple of times before but the old glue was never cleaned off. (Ya can't glue glue!) During inspection of the case it was noted that originally the case was built in three sections. First I've seen or heard of. Second, the builder was trained in the English Style. That is to say major pieces such as waist sides,bonnet sides,base sides,and the like are very thin 3/8" or so. These pieces are thinner still,a bit over 1/16". The back and secondary wood interestingly is American Pine. And the movement is also American. One of the challenges I faced was that the joint between the waist and the base was never quite finished. The only attaching point was between the back of the waist and the back of the base. It would be nice to keep this feature if the two pieces could be securely attached to each other. More importantly it had to be consistant with the style of the original maker. It also meant removing glue blocks that were a later addition(in an attempt to stabilize the joining of the two pieces).
    Here are some pics of some of the high lights of the restoration. Also I had to replicate missing banding on the base. To give one the idea of the size of things the black and white pieces are .050 x .100" and the finished width of eight layers is .420" about 7/16".

DSCF0946.JPG DSCF0954.JPG DSCF0959.JPG DSCF0965.JPG DSCF0967.JPG DSCF0982.JPG DSCF0984.JPG DSCF0987.JPG DSCF0992.JPG

Dave T, Jim DuBois and BogWood like this.
  2. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Underwater Robotics Expert
    Downingtown, Pennsylvania USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nice restoration Tom!

Tom

3. Sooth

Sooth Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 19, 2005
    Cabinetmaker
    Cornwall, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nice job as usual!

4. klokwiz

klokwiz Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 4, 2009
    WRENCH
    Annapolis, MD
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Tom, very nicely done. Would you mind telling how many man hours this took? Joe.

5. klokwiz

klokwiz Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 4, 2009
    WRENCH
    Annapolis, MD
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Tom,

In re-reading your post I was wondering do you mean that the three sections were made to be easily separated say for moving? or were they just built separately and then permanently joined to each other? Joe.