Restoring the Lenzkirch model 819

CCInet

Dec 30, 2015
Country
Hello all,
I have been restoring the Lenzkirch model 819 and I see that the clock seems to have been tinted. Looking under some areas it shows signs of a much darker tone and in others it does not seem to have been originally dyed. Searching the internet I could not find any example of this model.
But I have found several, such as the 676 model, that have ebonized parts, so I suspect that this model also had them.
I made a sketch and the truth is that the clock would gain a lot.
What do you think?
Would they do the tonality change or not?

Regards

819 model
Comparativa_antes_despues.jpg

676 model
Iluminado.jpg

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
It would be a big help if we could see photos of the clock you have.

JTD

CCInet

Dec 30, 2015
Country
It would be a big help if we could see photos of the clock you have.

JTD
Hello JTD, I think you are confused. My clock is the one on the left in its current state and the sketch on the right is what I think it should have looked like originally.
I am basing that assumption on the ink I found under parts on the clock case.
My question is if anyone has an example of what this model would look like originally.

Comparativa_antes_despues.jpg

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
Looking under some areas it shows signs of a much darker tone and in others it does not seem to have been originally dyed.
Please show pictures of these areas.

Based on the pictures you provided, I do not believe your clock was ever ebonized.

Regards.

Reactions: PatH

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
From the wood grain shown on the catalog page that was posted in your earlier thread, it seems that your clock would not have been ebonized. It will be interesting to see images of what you have found beneath the ornamentation. Is it possible that the differences are related to different types of wood rather than the finish on the wood?

After seeing the restoration of your cuckoo clock, I am looking forward to seeing the progress on this one. Thanks for sharing with us.

Reactions: CCInet

CCInet

Dec 30, 2015
Country
Please show pictures of these areas.

Based on the pictures you provided, I do not believe your clock was ever ebonized.

Regards.
Here are some areas of the box where you can see different anomalies in color.
All this makes me suspect that the darker parts of the case were washed and repainted, and the lighter parts were tinted to achieve a uniform color throughout the clock.

Beneath the bronze ornaments of the columns
balustrines.JPG

imperfections in the painting
IMG_20220925_152944.jpg

IMG_20220925_153014.jpg

Absence of lacquer finish on the inside and sides of the case
IMG_20220925_153054.jpg

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
It seems there could be a wide variety of reasons for the color differences, and I'm sure others are better able to discern the reasons than I. But, I am curious if the lighter parts are all in areas that would have received more exposure to light?

Reactions: michael isaacs

JimmyOz

Feb 21, 2008
Gold Coast Qld
Country
Region
It looks like an oak case? Oak and metal are not good bedfellows, the acid in oak reacts with iron, steel and turns black.
That said, looking at the turnings it does look to me that they could have been black. If you look at the shingles on the roof, the end grain, the carving would hold the black as it would have penetrated deeper than that of the face of the timber, if nothing is there then I would say that part was not ebonized.

CCInet

Dec 30, 2015
Country
Hello all.
Unfortunately the case was very poorly treated, this clock seems to have suffered many bad times in its long life.
I'm done repairing the movement. Luckily I didn't have to do much of anything there, cleaning, greasing, putting a new ratchet wheel on the chime and moving on to the box.
The restoration of the inking is now complete. Now follows the long task of varnishing with shellac...
_DSC2928.JPG
_DSC2929.JPG

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
Looking good. The grain on the lighter wood is wonderful, and now it's obvious why the catalog drawing showed such a prominent grain. Have you started cleaning the ornamental metal parts?

CCInet

Dec 30, 2015
Country
Looking good. The grain on the lighter wood is wonderful, and now it's obvious why the catalog drawing showed such a prominent grain. Have you started cleaning the ornamental metal parts?
Hi PatH.
The grain of the wood was totally hidden by the dark finish with which they stained the entire clock, now it is exposed.
the dark parts are not ebonized but stained dark walnut, I think it is the real color seeing other models of the firm. Unfortunately, apart from the catalog drawing, I still could not find another similar model on the Internet.
The bronze pieces are many, I have counted about 40 and all of them had tons of dry polishing product. In some places they formed a very strong binder between the ornaments and the wood. It seems like many years of using this product added up.
I have them all in a bath of detergent and ammonia to see if that softens that layer a bit before I can polish them.

CCInet

Dec 30, 2015
Country
Hello all,
I'm still working on the project. The box is complete. It is missing the re-silvering of the quadrant and final assembly.
I was in for a surprise, this clock NEVER had the tuning fork loose from its packing screw, therefore it never sounded as it should!! :?|

IMG_20221009_052611.jpg

Reactions: JimmyOz and PatH

CCInet

Dec 30, 2015
Country
Hello all.
I have doubts about the wall mount.
I am finishing the restoration and have noticed that the wall bracket does not appear to be original. It is made up of a metal plate that is screwed to one of the beams and to the rear cover by means of a through screw. The latter cannot be because it is unsightly and also not very firm since the lid is 5 mm thick.
Does anyone know how the mount was originally attached?

BackCover.JPG
BackCover2.JPG

IMG_20221009_235404.jpg

JimmyOz

Feb 21, 2008
Gold Coast Qld
Country
Region
I can't see any other old screw holes on the back or top rail, therefore, unless it has had the back replaced, I would say it is original.

CCInet

Dec 30, 2015
Country
Hi.
Today I made the re silver of the quadrant. I used a mixture of silver nitrate and sodium cyanide. It is a very effective but extremely toxic formula since sodium cyanide is highly poisonous for Human Beings. It must be carried out in a ventilated environment and using protective glasses and a mask with a carbon filter. It is applied by immersion or rubbing on copper, bronze, nickel silver or stainless steel.
Before
CuadarntBefore.JPG

After
IMG_20221010_183143.jpg

CCInet

Dec 30, 2015
Country
END OF THE PROJECT!!
Hello all.
I didn't have much time these days to dedicate to the clock, but it's finally finished.
The truth is that I am very satisfied with the results, I think it is a case where I would argue with a purist to intervene or not.
It seems to me that the clock has gained a lot.
Regards

Before
WhatsApp Image 2022-09-08 at 5.53.13 PM.jpeg

After
_DSC2936_final.jpg

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
Very nice! Does it sound as nice as it looks?

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
Very nice! Thank you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members