Restoring the Howard #2

Discussion in 'Tower, Monumental & Street Clocks' started by bptanguay, Dec 16, 2012.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. bptanguay

bptanguay Registered User

Apr 5, 2012
    Watchmaker
    Massachusetts
    Country Flag:
    Now that the clock is restored, what treatment do you use to keep the rust away?

2. gvasale

gvasale Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 30, 2005
    work in a machine shop, not as a machinist
    webster, Ma
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Where are the rust issues? Arbors can be polished with superfine sandpaper, as well as some other steel parts for the strike side. There are also clear finishes, but fine polish first. Gears? Some people have painted them, but I don't think paint on the working surfaces is a really good idea. I suppose they could be polished too, but that would be extremely tedious. Do you have a humidity problem there? If you don't run the clock, I suppose some light machine oil would be ok.

3. David S

David S Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    Professional Engineer - Retired
    Brockville, On Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You might look into Krown T40. I have used it for years on outdoor locks and other components in our motorhome and it works really well.

4. bptanguay

Apr 5, 2012
    Watchmaker
    Massachusetts
    Country Flag:
    the rust appeared on the steel wheels where the clicks are mounted, and the drum for the cable. I didn't get any rust on the pinions or arbors. I applied a wax finish to the painted areas, and a rust preventative treatment usually used for guns. I'll check back in a week or so to see if it worked. the room it's in is not heated, but neither are the steeples where these clocks usually live. so the climate is equal.

5. bptanguay

Apr 5, 2012
    Watchmaker
    Massachusetts
    Country Flag:
    It's been 3 years and I'm anxious to install the clock, the State has stalled our restoration process at the building and as soon as that is resolved, we can install the new windows, then proceed with the plans to install the clock. I'll post pictures.

6. bptanguay

Apr 5, 2012
    Watchmaker
    Massachusetts
    Country Flag:
    Finally after waiting four years the windows are in, we can now start work on the interior to prepare to install the clock on the second floor.

7. Mr. Time

Mr. Time Registered User

Feb 13, 2017
    Male
    TEXAS
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Wow!

What a restoration project.

Any updated information on the clocks progress of installation?

Pictures!?

8. bptanguay

Apr 5, 2012
    Watchmaker
    Massachusetts
    Country Flag:
    The only update is that when you deal with the State and try to use grant money, you better have a lot of patience. Especially when you deal with town Selectmen who don't really know what they are doing. It took them 3 years to approve the windows. Most of the work is done now, so we are doing some interior work, I'm hoping to start the clock install some time next year. I'll share and take pictures. Anyone passing through Central Mass is welcome to visit and get the tour. Look us up at the Narragansett Historical Society, we are on Facebook too, Templeton Museum (Narr Hist Society) Group page. I've got the keys, so it's an open invitation.

9. bptanguay

Apr 5, 2012
    Watchmaker
    Massachusetts
    Country Flag:
    We are adding an new tower clock to the collection to go with the E. Howard. The Ipswich "John Hawting" from 1762 will be featured in our "Grange hall" to the right of the stage, the Howard will be to the left. This will make quite the display and a great history to go with them. Donn Lathrop will be looking down with a smile!

jjsantos likes this.
  10. jjsantos

jjsantos Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 7, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Great news on the Ipswich clock! So glad you have it there on display.