Restoring the 400-Day Kaiser Grand Universe

Discussion in '400-Day & Atmos' started by Moeby, Sep 16, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Moeby

Moeby New Member

Sep 16, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hello,

I am new to restoring clocks. I have just cleaned up my Kaiser clock. The suspension spring is broken. Where can i get the torsion wire replaced? is this the correct part? Kaiser
    Picture attached. S1637New_cmyk.jpg

Measurements -
    113m x 9mm Standard 54 (34)

I have a few problems in restoring the clock.
    1. Replace the torsion wire. Entirely missing.
    2. The screw that holds the 1 of the 4 weights is broken.
    3. I dont know how to balance the weights and set the timing.

Please help.

Thank you.

20190623_162921.jpg 20190821_143148.jpg 20190813_164921.jpg 20190821_143708.jpg

markiemark likes this.
  2. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    Aerospace Engineer (Ret.)
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Welcome to the message board! Can you show a picture of the back plate without the suspension guard? That will help narrow the specifics down for the clock.

Kurt

3. Moeby

Moeby New Member

Sep 16, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    20190820_075635A.jpg

4. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The plate appears to essentially be #1309A in the repair guide. The thickness of the replacement suspension spring is 0.003". I'm not familiar with the diagram shown for the suspension spring assembly. The Terwilliger repair guide does indicate it is unit 34 but the location of the fork is much different than your generic picture. In the US, I tend to buy my replacement springs from The Horolovar Store and then cut the spring to the proper length. Of course, top and bottom blocks are needed...they can likely also supply those blocks. If you're comfortable doing it, it's relatively easy to assembly the suspension unit to the proper dimensions.

Kurt

5. Moeby

Moeby New Member

Sep 16, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    The bottom block is missing. I would probably need the whole set. Could you kindly click on the kaiser link if that is the correct part.

6. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I did go that link but I really don't know what I'm looking at. I guess from the descriptions 113mm is the length and 9mm is the distance to where the fork tines are. Seems right when compared to the #34 suspension unit in the repair guide. Be sure that you will be getting a true Horolovar spring as other springs may not have the temperature characteristics and thus your time regulation will be difficult.

Kurt

7. markiemark

markiemark Registered User

Nov 21, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Select #34 from this link 400 Day Clock Suspension Unit

Although I do have a Kaiser Grand Universe I used #34 for my other Kaiser Universes.

I do use Cousins UK for other stuff, it's a good shop, but for the Kaiser I have used both and the Horolovar just seemed to fit better.

I could probably answer all your other questions too, but I'd need to dismantle my clock. Do your pictures show all your pendulum parts, I see some missing, like do you have the shaft that goes through the globe?

Mark

8. markiemark

markiemark Registered User

Nov 21, 2017
    Country Flag:
    These parts... I found some old pictures. I know you have the weights but the black piece and the nut, and the curved insets on the other pic.

IMG_1720.jpg IMG_1725.jpg