Restoring matting on brass dial clocks

NigelW

Jan 2, 2015
London and Kent
Country
Is it possible to restore the matting on old brass dial clock? The dial on one of mine has had some later holes plugged but the restorer left some scratch marks in the matting and one small area of matting is slightly flattened. The scratching is very light and only visible when the light falls on it from certain angles and probably won't be noticeable when it is in the case, but the flattened area is noticeable. I suspect that the scratching will become less visible as the brass tarnishes a little as fresh scratch marks tend to be more noticeable than old ones.

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
It was done with a spiked roller, not always but that is the most common method. Some early provincial clocks seem to have been done with a single point!

I have seen reasonable attempts at matching up a new rivet end in a dial. Some london matting is incredibly fine, so it would be hard to match that I think.

Reactions: NigelW

NigelW

Jan 2, 2015
London and Kent
Country
Some london matting is incredibly fine, so it would be hard to match that I think.
Looking closely at mine it seems it was done with a square punch. The slightly flattened area is next to the the hour hand, and hidden by it in the "before" photo. I suppose one could try making a similar punch?

IMG_1578.jpeg Screen Shot 2019-10-25 at 11.57.02.png

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
If you look behind the chapter ring you can usually see how it was done. There should be enough there for you to trial any proposed solution too.

Reactions: NigelW

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosGraveyard
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller