Restoring Clock Dials

ChrisCam

NAWCC Member
Dec 9, 2017
England
Country
Region
Hi, is there a book(s) and or site(s) that any of you guys can recommend for restoring clock dials (all sorts and types of dials including painted ). Lots of clocks have crappy dials but can we fix them?
Regards
Chris

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
I have seen many inadequate restorations of white dials, I use an expert for that work who does a brilliant job. She has many years experience.

Brass dials are different, I think it is possible to learn their restoration to a very good standard.

ChrisCam

NAWCC Member
Dec 9, 2017
England
Country
Region
Try this guy.
Thanks Tealocks but really would like views / recommendations on restoring other dial types. I have managed to restore my long case dial and it looks really nice but is it possible to restore other types of dials?
Chris

mauleg

NAWCC Member
Dec 26, 2012
Country
Not a book, but a technique: the availability of printable waterslide decals allows for reversible, accurate restoration of exact artwork on any smooth substrate, is much more precise and eliminates the potential for most errors.

Reactions: ChrisCam

ChrisCam

NAWCC Member
Dec 9, 2017
England
Country
Region
Not a book, but a technique: the availability of printable waterslide decals allows for reversible, accurate restoration of exact artwork on any smooth substrate, is much more precise and eliminates the potential for most errors.
Thanks Mauleg this is exactly the kind of thing I am looking for. My early research suggests (and your post back it up that many dials are restorable. for a reasonably intelligent clock man. At the very least it's a good idea to know what can and cannot be done. Still more research needed such as identification of dial type such as painted, paper or enamel and possible repair / renovation techniques.
Chris

Last edited:

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I would suggest that dial repair is probably way down on the list of priorities in the learning process. I've only had two in my career that I thought absolutely needed to be fixed.

ChrisCam

NAWCC Member
Dec 9, 2017
England
Country
Region
I would suggest that dial repair is probably way down on the list of priorities in the learning process. I've only had two in my career that I thought absolutely needed to be fixed.
thanks S.B quite possibly as yet I am still appraising what's what. however there are many clocks around with very poor dials so some knowledge can only be to the good.
chris

jimtone

Dec 28, 2011
Do any of you know about restoring paper printed character clock and watch dials? Isn't it possible to digital copy a perfect dial to reapply to the old dial?

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Chris,

It will take a lot of knowledge and years of experience before you get to the
"to the good" part. :)

Willie X

Thomas Sanguigni

NAWCC Member
Aug 22, 2018
secondhandclockshop.com
Country
Region
Wow, only two dials in your career ?
I must be in the dial graveyard, on this end of the country. I've had to do a slew of dials. Usually, it is the customer who requests it. I have to agree with them. Dan McCann does most of my dial work.

007.jpg

003.JPG

before.jpg

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
Do any of you know about restoring paper printed character clock and watch dials? Isn't it possible to digital copy a perfect dial to reapply to the old dial?
If you're good with Photoshop, or have a pristine dial to copy, this could be feasible. You certainly see a lot of character pocket watches on auction sites where the dials appear to be new while the cases/hands/dials do not. I think it's generally better to retain the original dial with the watch or clock in case the next owner prefers that over a replacement. In any case, the replacement should never be done to deceive.

tracerjack

NAWCC Member
Jun 6, 2016
Lodi, CA
Country
Region
Extreme Restoration does cover painted dials, stabilizing flaking, filling bare spots, color matching, etc. It doesn't cover silvered dials.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Wow, only two dials in your career ?
I must be in the dial graveyard, on this end of the country. I've had to do a slew of dials. Usually, it is the customer who requests it. I have to agree with them. Dan McCann does most of my dial work.
I don't do dials for customers. I'll recommend places for them to go, but won't do the work myself, or be the middle man.
For my clocks, I am careful when buying, and generally feel the dial tells as much about the clock's history as the rest of it. I like for an old clock to look its age. I'm not of the same opinion for myself though :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grandma Becker
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Bushing Using Hand Tools by Tom McIntyre