Restoring an Ingram Black Mantel Clock

Discussion in 'Clock Case Restoration and Repair' started by orso, Feb 14, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. orso

orso Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Jun 9, 2013
    Male
    Retired AirForce Officer
    Minnesota
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'm trying to restore to the best possible an Ingram Black Clock (see pics). There are a few scratches and stains especially on the top panel. The idea was to gently strip it out hoping the incises would have kept deep enough to be refilled with gold. I realized though that this is not the case; except for the dipper holes all the remaining golden decorations are above the wood surface and they are quite hard if I touch them with a brass pin; they look like very little nails. Whatever they are, is there anyone who has attempted to restore this kind of case? If so, I would appreciate any suggestions.
    Thanks IMG_1621.JPG IMG_1622.JPG IMG_1625.JPG

2. orso

orso Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Jun 9, 2013
    Male
    Retired AirForce Officer
    Minnesota
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Well, I think I found an answer: A post on this board sent me to the 1991 Apr. Bulletin; there on pag. 155 the author ( P.V. Russell) says : " ......Later, I understand, a sheet of gold or silver foil was placed in position on the case and the die and foot press not onlY made the scroll, but the gilt was inlaid at the same time"