Restoring a tower clock

Discussion in 'Tower, Monumental & Street Clocks' started by giorgio, May 18, 2009.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. giorgio

giorgio Registered User

Feb 18, 2004
    University Professor
    Santa Barbara, California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    is a time only tower clock a tower time piece?

Some weeks ago I posted a picture of a small tower clock I acquired. I knew little of its history and I am still somewhat in the dark, but had help from the Board. I am not posting a number of pictures documenting the process of restoration. I hope the readers find it interesting. The pendulum is wood, but I rhink when I get back to california I will manufacture metal one or at least one of harwood. I have not painted the gold trim yet because i am not sure how to go about it with a steady hand. Or is there a special technique?

Unfortunately I could not post the pictures in order, but thre are 9, in the top row, form left to right
    1. Making a dial and motion works
    2. The completed dial
    3. Cock as received. No pendulum, Crutch removed
    4. Disassembled clock (not all parts shown)
    5. ystery crutch. I could not figure out how this was ttached to the pendulum. But it was quite simple. Te ariculated reversed V was actually a safety device designed to disconnect the pendulum from the crutch in case of a bump.
    Bottom row
    1. Colck with pendulum. Very long, 127cms. I was not sure of material so I used a simple pine stick and a hardwood bob with a decorative brass center.
    2. Detail of pallet
    3. Painted and assembled clock. What do you thing of the green?
    4. Proud owner with temporary pendulum to figure its lenghth... and before much of subsequent work.

I have many more pictures for interest members. This is one of three tower clocks acquired while in Spain. The other two will be restored after I get back, as they are much larger and have striking trains.

Thanks for looking!
    Giorgio Perissinotto

Attached Files:

2. JB

JB Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 27, 2006
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Very nice Giorgio!
    I love the proportions and simplicity of it.

I can only dream of owning a clock as such, one day. The actual tower is a bigger dream:).

3. DanJeffries

DanJeffries The Tower clock man
    NAWCC Member

Dec 1, 2008
    Male
    Controller
    Monticello Georgia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Very nice Job on the restoration! And yes I like the green, makes it stand out more than the black paint.
    Good job on the pendulum as well, I know how frustrating it can be to recreate a tower clock pendulum and get it to run precisely.
    Can't wait to see more pics of the other tower movements.

Dan