Restoring a kienienger 0792-000 need some advise.

turboflyer

NAWCC Member
Feb 17, 2016
Country
I know it’s not the grandest clock in the world but I really like it. I know it will never be wort what I put in to it but what the heck. It has several different finishes. The one I need to restore is the brushed and lacquered parts. I was thinking a soft fine brass wheel 4 maybe 6 in would do the job. What ever it was coated with is tenacious and dark. Ultrasonic ammoniated will not cut it, acetone will not , so thinking the wheel. I can not find one that in brass.I find steel brass coated. So what do I need to you folks think I need to do this kink of finish?

3D84BD46-B73D-458D-9398-AB85270B109D.jpeg

disciple_dan

NAWCC Member
Donor
Mar 10, 2016
Plant City
Country
Region
As with all clocks, its real worth is the value that is put on it by the one who adores it. I have many seemingly worthless clocks that I absolutely love. Wouldn't trade'em.
Love it! Enjoy it.
Sorry, I don't have any advice. Someone will be along soon. You might do better on the restoration forum.
Danny

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
First, check everything with a magnet!

Sandpaper, something around 150 would be a good place to start for this type straight grained finish. Push it straight across on a rubber block. A fence type guide is a big help to keep the grain straight. Try it on a scrap first.

A brass brush will give you a nice soft satin finish. A steel brush finish will be more pronounced. Both are sometimes called 'brushed' finishs. Rotary brushes will need some kind of fixture to get a uniform finish on a large surface.

Willie X

Last edited:

Schatznut

NAWCC Member
Sep 26, 2020
SoCal
Country
Region
As with all clocks, its real worth is the value that is put on it by the one who adores it. I have many seemingly worthless clocks that I absolutely love. Wouldn't trade'em.
Love it! Enjoy it.
Sorry, I don't have any advice. Someone will be along soon. You might do better on the restoration forum.
Danny
Dan, maybe you didn't have advice about the finish, but I think your advice about the clock in general is spot on!

Reactions: turboflyer

bangster

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 1, 2005
utah
Country
Region
Are you using a Dremel tool? Brass brushes for them are available all over the place.

Schatznut

NAWCC Member
Sep 26, 2020
SoCal
Country
Region
First, check everything with a magnet!

Sandpaper, something around 150 would be a good place to start for this type straight grained finish. Push it straight across on a rubber block. A fence type guide is a big help to keep the grain straight. Try it on a scrap first.

A brass brush will give you a nice soft satin finish. A steel brush finish will be more pronounced. Both are sometimes called 'brushed' finishs. Rotary brushes will need some kind of fixture to get a uniform finish on a large surface.

Willie X
Yikes! The magnet in the pendulum will attract your magnet from halfway across the room! These cases are all brass - no plating here. Good advice regarding the brushed satin finish - this is a Kundo hallmark across all their clocks. I have a similar clock - the finish on the top appears to be etched and I have not figured out how to clean it without "softening" the edges on the texture. Good luck and if you come up with a good solution, please let us know!

turboflyer

NAWCC Member
Feb 17, 2016
Country
Are you using a Dremel tool? Brass brushes for them are available all over the place.
No dremel on this. Was trying to find a soft all brass 4 too 5 inch wheel. I am going to try Willies
Block fence paper approach. Once cleared I think it will be just right.

turboflyer

NAWCC Member
Feb 17, 2016
Country
Everything brassy looking is not brass.
:) Willie X
For sure. I checked this one over with my elivated micro intensive inverter non-ferrous
Linear special tool.I do this on most things I want to make sure are not just plated. It is solid brass. Tried aircraft paint stripper today. Took the old coating off but the discoloration in into the metal. So onward with your fix.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
There is probably a way to remove the oxidation chemically. But, it isn't to big a job to remove/recondition it physically, as long as you can remove all the obstacles. Willie X

Reactions: turboflyer

Schatznut

NAWCC Member
Sep 26, 2020
SoCal
Country
Region
Nicely done! These Kundo electromagnetics are really captivating, aren't they? I especially like it when you give the pendulum just the slightest nudge from rest and it builds amplitude until the escapement starts tripping and it settles down to a steady 180BPM. What all did you have to do to it?

turboflyer

NAWCC Member
Feb 17, 2016
Country
I thought it was captivating as well. Just the right hybrid right. Luckily the electronics were functional. Cleaned that cool little mechanical movement. Never did one that small or like it. All the brass was either polished or resurfaced and lacquered . I did not touch the pendulum since it may have been plated and looked very good. I need to work on something bigger next to give my eyes a rest. It sure would be nice to do two of the same clocks in a row. Always something different and challenging. You guys are an inspiration and definitely my security and go to blanket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ds23pallas
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller