Restored Ansonia running fast

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by bytes2doc, Apr 17, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. bytes2doc

bytes2doc Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Aug 31, 2009
    Physician
    Tennessee
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I picked up another Ansonia, an iron case mantel, that was ready for the trash. Most of the paint was already off and needed to be sandblasted. I could not find the model in Ansonia Clocks by Tran Duy Ly, but the case looks just like the Lisbon (1014) but with lion heads on each side, and the dial does not have an exposed escapement.

I replaced the pendulum, with a spring that is .001 thicker. I lengthen the pendulum and set the bob all the way down to the point it is just above the case floor. I still get about 151 bpm. I assume it should be 120 bpm. Is this correct?

I switched to the old pendulum and it still runs fast, so not sure if this is the original pendulum and bob or not.

The pendulum length stamped on the movement is 5 1/2.

Thoughts on where to go from here?

2. R. Croswell

R. Croswell Registered User

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    First make sure that the escapement isn't occasionally skipping a tooth, perhaps one short tooth. or the verge depth too shallow. It would help to see a picture or two of this movement especially the suspension hanger/regulator and the pendulum. If there is no mechanical problem, replace the suspension spring with one of 0.002" or 0.003" thick which should slow it down a little.

RC

3. Hudson

Hudson Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Retired
    Spicewood
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Your assumption of 120 bpm is likely to be incorrect. Beats per minute or beats per hour on mantel clocks are most often not nice clean numbers like your 120bpm. The "Clockmakers Beat Book" shows no Ansonia clock with that beat. The book is not a complete listing of Ansonia clocks, but the ones listed are not 120bpm.

If you count the teeth on the time train wheels and pinions you can calculate exactly what the BPM and BPH should be. If not, just run the clock and compare to a good time keeper and adjust accordingly.

Best of Luck

4. R. Croswell

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'm afraid that perhaps you are thinking that 120 BPM (60 ticks + 60 tocks = 60 seconds) which isn't going to give you the correct rate for this clock. This isn't a seconds or half-second beating clock. The required number of beats in one minute is a function of the number of teeth on the escape wheel and the other wheels and pinions between the center shaft of the clock and the escape wheel. The manufacturer selected specific gear ratios so that a the length of the required pendulum will fit in the case. I have a similar Ansonia and the correct beat for mine is 147.33 BPM which may or may not be right for yours, but that is pretty close to the 151 BPM that you reported. I believe that changing to a suspension spring 0.001" or 0.002" thinner (0.002" or 0.003" thick spring) could easily make that much difference.

May I ask, how are you determining that you have "about" 151? Hudson is correct, the final check needs to be whether the clock actually keeps time compared to the actual time of day.

RC

5. bytes2doc

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Aug 31, 2009
    Physician
    Tennessee
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have an app on my phone that will count the beats. It's called clock tuner on an android device.

It the calculation the multiple of the train wheel teeth divided by the multiple of the pinions?

20190416_181611.jpg

6. bytes2doc

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Aug 31, 2009
    Physician
    Tennessee
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Pics from the front

DF8E75D2-CAE3-4E70-B538-AB0C2C0005EC.jpeg 18E9D6DE-E6FC-4FF0-B1AA-E0D2E15CADB9.jpeg

7. R. Croswell

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That pendulum does not look like Ansonia. I have never used that android app but any device that relies on acoustic pickup can sometimes be triggered by extraneous sounds. That aside, you need to reduce the BPM. A thinner suspension spring, and/or smaller diameter but heavier pendulum will slow the beat rate.

RC

8. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    The spring part of your pendulum rod is much to long. Cut the spring off about 1/4" and see what happens at the lowest posible pendulum adjustment. Willie X