Restoration- WAG Clock Face

Discussion in 'Reverse Glass and Dial Painting' started by hsjnlssmith, Oct 24, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. hsjnlssmith

hsjnlssmith Registered User

Jan 13, 2012
    Offshore Construction Engineer
    Houston, Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have acquired a WAG Clock and am trying to restore it. I am waiting for arrival of a pendulum, weights and chain so I have moved my attention to the clock face.

The original paint is in very poor condition and has been scraped off in many places. I have some good photos of the face for recreation purpose. I have access to a very good artist with lots of experience painting on wood and much experience with floral patterns.

I was thinking of removing the original paint and then repairing the raised area which appears to be some sort of plaster on top of the wood. It is white and chalky. Does anyone know what this material is and what could be used to patch it?

As far as paint goes, what type of paint would have been used originally? Or, is there a good replacement type paint that is typically used?

Does it make moree sense to keep the original paint, repair the plaster damage and then touch up the damaged areas to blend them in with the original? Is that really even possible with a face in this condition?

Thanks, Henry
    20171015_184729.jpg 20171015_105734 (2).jpg 20171015_184729.jpg 20171015_105734 (2).jpg 20171015_184729.jpg 20171015_105734 (2).jpg 20171015_184729.jpg

2. hsjnlssmith

Jan 13, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Sorry about the inclusion of the same photos multiple times. Not sure what happened, but I was not able to edit the post to delete them.

3. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Underwater Robotics Expert
    Downingtown, Pennsylvania USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That's a tough call, but if you are going to strip and repaint the whole thing, why not spare the original and make a complete replica from scratch? You can save / conserve the original and not lose any value it has. I think the flowers look pretty good, except the lower left of course.

If it were mine (I don't have the resources or funds to do a more thorough or professional restoration) I might try to just touch up some of the numbers, without making them look perfect, but enough so they don't look as missing as they do now (which to me is a distraction). I've found that on dials where I have touched up just the numbers, the sections that peeled off do not stand out as much.

Tom

4. hsjnlssmith

Jan 13, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Tom, thank you for your response. I am still undecided on what I will do. Could you help me understand what the material below the paint is? The dial is raised under the numerals in a ring around the clock face. Where the paint is scraped away, it appears that this material is some sort of white chalky plaster. If i restore the face, i would want to understand what material would be best to fill in this old plaster where it has been gouged. Thanks for any thoughts you or anyone else has on this. Henry

5. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Underwater Robotics Expert
    Downingtown, Pennsylvania USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'm not 100% sure, but my guess would be gesso. I am more familiar with its use on clocks with columns having seen it on many samples. More info at Gesso - Wikipedia.

Tom