Restoration?? or Trash Can

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by Joseph Bautsch, Dec 8, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Joseph Bautsch

Joseph Bautsch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 9, 2006
    Male
    Retired
    Atlanta, GA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This is the end of the story on this clock. I've finally finished putting it together. I had it on the back burner for a while do to other projects that needed my attention. Can any one give me an approximate date or even name for it? Unfortunately my research library for Ansonia is limited and there is nothing like this in what I do have. Any help would be appreciated. It is an exposed brocot escapement by Ansonia. The brass polished trim strips are birds on limbs. They were painted over in black. I used steel wool and rubbed off the paint to highlight the birds and their perches and left the backfground in black. They look like parrots.

Ansonia Clock.png

fbicknel, Dave T, PatH and 1 other person like this.
  2. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Underwater Robotics Expert
    Downingtown, Pennsylvania USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It looks like a new beginning to me, not the end. Fantastic job! I'll bet it feels rewarding compared to when you first opened the box, which had to be a huge let down. Now you have a nice clock and something to be proud of.

Tom

fbicknel likes this.
  3. wow

wow Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Male
    Retired Music Minister
    Pineville, La. (central La.)
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Great work. You have made something beautiful out of a piece of junk. Thanks for sharing!

4. Dave T

Dave T Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 8, 2011
    retired accountant
    NC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nice work!
    ansonia restore.jpg

gleber likes this.
  5. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    All the more impressive!

Tom

6. PatH

PatH National Program Chair
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This looks very similar to the El Tirso model on page 340 of the Ansonia book. Book picture doesn't include the two small finials at the top, and it's not clear from the picture if the birds match, but there are figural brass strips as on your clock. Picture in the book indicates 1907. Sold for $25.50 at that time. Maybe someone else who is more familiar with Ansonia clocks can confirm.

7. Joseph Bautsch

NAWCC Member

Dec 9, 2006
    Male
    Retired
    Atlanta, GA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for the replies guys. As usual very informative and professional.

8. wcampbell

wcampbell Registered User

Nov 25, 2013
    Male
    Aircraft Mechanic / Contractor
    Wiesbaden Germany
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Joe I must say very nice job putting the the old girl back together. if you are interested there is a product called slate blacking. it says apply and buff to a high shine! I bought some in preparation of a repair to a french black slate clock that I had purchased. I haven't used it yet because I am still trying to find a base and top that did not come with the clock. However I have seen the results of using this product on other clocks on line and I believe it could help here is a picture

Slate blacking.jpg

9. wcampbell

wcampbell Registered User

Nov 25, 2013
    Male
    Aircraft Mechanic / Contractor
    Wiesbaden Germany
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    sorry I meant to add that I purchased the product from Time Savers

10. Joseph Bautsch

NAWCC Member

Dec 9, 2006
    Male
    Retired
    Atlanta, GA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have seen this product before but have never used it. There is also a product called Marblack, which is essentially the same thing. All the reviews indicate a result often less than desirable. How well these products work denpends on how much oxidation and corrosion has taken place on the slate. Unfortunately the only true way to get a polish on slate is to go through the process of re-polishing the surface with the multiple grades of polishing grit. A long drawn-out process with a lot of hand work. What I did in this case was to clean off the crud and use several coats of Mothers Car Wax. Unfortunately all the stone finishes are subject to oxidation and corrosion over time. Once the polish is gone it's an uphill battle to get it back that is most often not worth the time and effort unless it is an cherished heir loom or extremely vauable clock.

11. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I've had good results with Slate Blacking on a case with a lot of variation in shades of black/gray. I posted about it about 2 years ago. I used a damp cloth and probably 30 coats. Because the cloth was damp, it was diluted and dried very fast between coats. I did all 30 coats over the course of 2 afternoons. The results were a very uniform black as black can be color and shine. Prep was wet sand with 600 grit. It looks as good today as it did when applied.

Disclaimer- I have no connection with Slate Blacking or its resellers.

Tom

12. fbicknel

fbicknel Registered User

Apr 14, 2017
    Male
    Cumming, GA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Gives new meaning to the phrase, "Some assembly required."

Great job.