Restoration of split nickel alarm clock cases

Discussion in 'Clock Case Restoration and Repair' started by Raymond McGeary, Sep 3, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Raymond McGeary

Raymond McGeary Registered User
    NAWCC Member Golden Circle

Jun 16, 2010
    Has anyone discovered a proper technique for the restoration of the splits frequently seen in metal (nickel) legged alarm clock cases? In my experience, Waterbury alarms are often subject to this problem. Attempted repair with lumps of lead solder smeared across the case is not a satisfactory solution. I'd rather see the splits.

2. tracerjack

tracerjack Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 6, 2016
    Female
    Lodi, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have not found an economical solution to splits in thin metal cases.I think brazing or welding would restore the integrity of the metal, but repairing the finish afterwards would be a problem. The last time I got a quote for re-chroming a small carriage type clock was $300. The clock wasn't worth more than $10, so I passed on that. I've tried JB weld on a small dial trim. It structurally held the split, but you could still see the split if you looked.

3. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It's a big problem with 400 day clock bases too. The JB weld is probably as good as any solution.

4. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Yes. I agree. I have had quite good results with JB weld on 400 day clock bases and those thin barrel-like things that French round movements often have and which are inserted into a wooden case.

If you make the JB weld on the inside, once it is hard you can file or smooth it with a Dremel. The hardest bit, I find, is keeping the two edges of the split neatly together while it dries. In the end the best solution I could find was tough plastic tape.

JTD