Resources?

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by Tom Carey, Jan 14, 2008.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Tom Carey

Tom Carey Registered User

Oct 7, 2007
    Can you folks suggest some great online sources for a budding collecting or European pocket watches? Also what brand would you say is the most popular? At present I have a few cheapies from East Germany Ruhla that were made during the cold war as they are just interesting to me do to the fact that I am a history buff. I also have about 4 or 5 Omegas which have found to be quite reasonable in price.

Best Regards,

Thomas Carey

2. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I don't know if you would consider English watches to be European. I do and include them in my [colour=green]European collection[/colour].

Besides the obvious eBay, you may want to make sure that you check the European eBay sites.

David Penney has an on-line catalog as does Johnny Wachsman. David's is called AntiqueWatchStore and Johnny's is called Pieces of Time, but the url is Antique-Watches.com.

There are many others but these two are NAWCC members I have done business with in the past.

3. Jerry Matthews

Jerry Matthews Registered User

Sep 20, 2005
    Retired
    Sussex, England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thomas

I would like to second what Tom McIntyre said about English watches. I personally think they are very collectable---and not just because I live in England. The reason I collect them is because they are almost always in a hallmarked silver (or gold) case. And because of the hallmark you can know within two years when the watch was made. (There are always exceptions, like if the movement was recased, but generally the case hallmark is a reliable guide to age.)

Like you, I am a history buff, and I find it fascinating to possess a watch that was made in 1776, or the year Queen Victoria came to the throne, or during the American Civil War, or the year of the Titanic, and so on.

Check out ebay.co.uk. I have made some good buys there.

One problem for you might be service and repair. From what I have read on here, there aren't many American watch repairmen who will take on an early 19th century fusee or verge.

Good luck with what ever you decide to collect.

Jerry