Researching ways people store pocket watches with chains

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by Glenn Jenkin, Nov 13, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Glenn Jenkin

Glenn Jenkin Registered User

Nov 13, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hi all

I am a design teacher and a pocket watch user daily. I have a student exploring ways of storing my pocket watch while keeping it on a chain. Curious as to if some of you guys can answer a few questions relating to this issue. If this is fine with the moderator, I will post a few questions soon.

2. musicguy

musicguy Moderator
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    #2 musicguy, Nov 13, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
    Hi Glenn and welcome to the NAWCC forum,

If you are talking about short term storage(overnight) I just put it on the table with the
    chain on it. If you are talking about long term storage, Most of my watches are
    stored without chains except for a few. My watches are in a glass cabinet and it would look very
    cluttered if chains were on all watches(and I don't have that many chains anyway) plus you
    don't want the chains scratching the cases. I also use one main chain for all my daily carry watches.

PS. Glenn post a photo of your daily carry.

Rob

Keith R... likes this.
  3. Kent

Kent Registered User
    Gibbs Literary Award NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Silver Member

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Hi Glenn:

Please add my welcome to Rob's.

I use a stand with a glass dome to which I added the brass wire about halfway up the post. The reason for that wire is to keep the watch from swinging (which would affect the timekeeping rate), which is why it holds the watch slightly off of vertical.

There's no reason you can't leave the chain attached and piled up on the stand's base.

Please feel free to ask about anything that isn't clear to you.

Good luck,

Watch_Stand.jpg

viclip and Keith R... like this.
  4. Lee Passarella

Lee Passarella Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 8, 2015
    Male
    tech writer
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I've collected a number of antique watch stands over the years, and most have a dish or some other feature that allow the storage of chains, fobs, keys, and other items watch wearers use.

IMG_0337.JPG

5. Glenn Jenkin

Nov 13, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:

6. Glenn Jenkin

Nov 13, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    God point I should have included my Hamilton. Please see the images.

IMG_4088.jpeg IMG_4089.jpeg

7. Glenn Jenkin

Nov 13, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thank you for the welcomes and feedback. I will request further questions from my student she would like answered. I understand we all have different ways of keeping watches overnight. I am always concerned about possible scratching, and she is looking for a meaningful design project.

8. musicguy

musicguy Moderator
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
  9. Rob P.

Rob P. Registered User

Dec 19, 2011
    California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The issue with most stands is that they make no allowance for the chain. I have a design for a stand in which the hook is on the outside of a "box" at the top of the stand. The watch goes on the hook and the chain goes into the box. The box isn't that deep, just enough of a lip to keep the chain from falling off.

One of these days I'll build one. Until then I just store mine in my watch drawer without a chain attached.

10. Lee Passarella

Lee Passarella Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 8, 2015
    Male
    tech writer
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    A very nice watch and chain/fob combo, Glenn. I'm wondering about the coin fob. I'd think it represented St. George and the dragon, but the male figure's nakedness suggests that can't be so. Can you tell us what the image represents and a little background on the coin?

11. viclip

viclip Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 20, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I leave my pocket watch(es) on & in my vest overnight. As my vests are carefully hung up after I remove them, the watch(es) are well protected therein & I see no reason to remove the watch/chain assembly.

If as per usual I'm desirous of wearing 2 pocket watches using a double chain (I prefer a second time piece to a fob or some device or other), then I ensure that the vest has at least 3 pockets. The pocket watch normally carried in the lower right vest pocket, is simply placed into the upper left vest pocket, followed by easy removal & hanging of the vest.

12. Rick Hufnagel

Rick Hufnagel Just Rick!
    NAWCC Member Donor Sponsor

Oct 25, 2018
    Male
    Plumber
    Pittsburgh pa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Those stands are great!

Whichever two are running I just clip to my shelf. I put the chain around the front bar and hook it to itself and let the watches hang.

The nice chain i wear with a suit stays in its own separate pouch.

13. Clint Geller

Clint Geller Registered User
    Gibbs Literary Award NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Male
    I am a research physicist at a government lab
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #13 Clint Geller, Nov 13, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
    With only one exception, I keep my watches in pouches, not on stands, so I don’t normally keep my watches with chains, for fear of scratching the watchcases. The one exception is an English pocket chronometer that came with its original mahogany box and chain, so I keep the chain, and usually the watch, in the box. The only other chain I own that I believe to be original to a watch in my collection will be kept nearby, but in a separate pouch from the watch.

vintageguy likes this.
  14. Ethan Lipsig

Ethan Lipsig Registered User
    NAWCC Gold Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Male
    80% Retired Attorney
    Pasadena
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I don't carry my watches, although I keep all of them in good running condition. I store my watches in flat storage boxes with compartments for each watch. I don't collect chains, but If a watch came with a chain, I store the chain with the watch .

I store the flat boxes in my safety deposit boxes at my bank, except that each time I visit my bank, I usually bring a different box home. The photo below shows once such box on top of the "watch table" my wife made for me. If you look closely, you will see that the two watches at the left end of the top row have chains, as does the third watch from the right in the middle row. Also note that watch stand to the left of the box has a depression in the base that could hold a chain.

1FB9A832-4244-41CA-A65F-6BDDFA4DF409.jpeg

15. Glenn Jenkin

Nov 13, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    #15 Glenn Jenkin, Nov 15, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
    Hi Lee

It is an Australian gold sovereign from the last the 19th century (1889) with St George on one side and her majesty queen Victory on the other side.

The personal background is my passion for family history and the discovery of a four-generation picture that was found when my grandmother past away taken in 1911.

The youngest adult in the picture is my great grandfather, who was a station master. I love the style and wish I had his pocket watch. That got me searching for a watch which led me to a friend in the US and hamilton. To complete the set I needed an antique gold chain, and the sovereign came along around that period which compliments my watch. Not sure what happened as I thought I had uploaded a picture.

Kind regards

Glenn

16. Glenn Jenkin

Nov 13, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hi Kent

Love the stands, although I am concerned with the chain rubbing against itself and want to try to keep it not piled up. Besides, my students needs a challenging project. I will post her general details and questions in a new thread very soon.

17. vintageguy

vintageguy Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Oct 27, 2013
    Male
    Attorney
    Minnesota
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    What a great table!

18. Kent

Kent Registered User

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    You might as well post them here and thus keep the subject in one place.

19. Keith R...

Keith R... Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 27, 2012
    Male
    Retired Sr. Proj. mgr,
    South
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #19 Keith R..., Nov 16, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
    24" x 18" x 4" and holds 28, 18 size watches. Has hinged top glass lid that latches. I have some in
    cedar and pine.

Plenty of room for chains also.

Keith R...

100_4076 (1024x768).jpg

luvsthetick and viclip like this.
  20. luvsthetick

luvsthetick Registered User

Mar 31, 2010
    retired
    Georgia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    K.

If each one of those watches had a chain we might have some difficulty seeing your watches.

Nice case!

Keith R... likes this.
  21. luvsthetick

luvsthetick Registered User

Mar 31, 2010
    retired
    Georgia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Glenn,

I must admit I have never given your question much thought.

Over the years I have been able to collect several watches (a wide variety of brands) in their original factory boxes with warranty papers. Ironically, the ones I do have are all men's sizes and all came with chains attached. They will always remain together as long as I own them.

I just leave the chain in the factory box with the watch. See the example below.

DSC_0005 (2)a.jpg

Glenn Jenkin and Keith R... like this.
  22. Glenn Jenkin

Nov 13, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Dear fellow pocket watch lovers, thank you for your comments and pictures.

I am wanting to act on behalf of a grade 11 student I teach who has taken on the challenging of solving my overnight pocket watch storage problem. As with you guys, I am very particular with my pocket and accessories, including my gold fob chain.

As part of this long term project, the student (Annie) needs to obtain general feedback from a range of people who may have a similar problem to establish a need beyond just the client (me).

To this end, she would like to ask the following questions.

1 Do you have a perfect solution for storing your pocket watch and fob chain overnight?
    Yes
    No

2 If no, can you elaborate on the problem and how you store the watch at this moment?

I know Annie would be interested in sharing her work and development with you guys, and I hope you can find a minute to share your thoughts.

Kind regards

Glenn (for Annie)

luvsthetick likes this.
  23. Rick Hufnagel

Rick Hufnagel Just Rick!

Oct 25, 2018
    Male
    Plumber
    Pittsburgh pa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nope

I hang it off of a shelf by the chain. This keeps the chain from scratching it, but opens up the possibility that it may get knocked around by accident. That... And if a watch should happen to fall to the ground it would cause damage to the movement and case.

None of these things have happened, but you never know. I don't like to leave it laying on a table, my goofy dog likes shiney objects.

Glenn Jenkin likes this.
  24. Jerry Treiman

Jerry Treiman Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Geologist - California Geological Survey
    Los Angeles, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Do I have a perfect solution for my watch overnight? Maybe so, at least for my needs. This is a little whimsical, but I like it. It is a small plush animal I got a few years ago which comfortably nestles any size watch I might be wearing. It sits on my dresser and prevents scratching the watch case (or my dresser) and the chain or leather fob can drape over the side.
    plush watch rest.jpg

I have been wearing a pocket watch for over 55 years and have always tried to set my watch on some soft surface when I take it out of my pocket. I like this better than the folded handkerchief I used to use.

25. Kent

Kent Registered User

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Hanging the watch unsupported by its chain will lead to it swinging due to the motion of the balance. This 'robs' energy from the balance, causing it to change its rate and hence the watch's accuracy.

26. Rick Hufnagel

Rick Hufnagel Just Rick!

Oct 25, 2018
    Male
    Plumber
    Pittsburgh pa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The wire on your stand is a good remedy for that. Never thought of the balance making it swing.

Honestly up untill recently I never ran the same watch long enough to notice things like that. Now I use the same two pretty consistently, one for work and one not. Might be a fun experiment to record variances a few days hanging, and a few hanging with a support.

27. Glenn Jenkin

Nov 13, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Dear fellow pocket watch lovers.

I am wanting to act on behalf of a grade 11 student I teach who has taken on the challenging of solving my overnight pocket watch storage problem. As with you guys, I am very particular with my pocket and accessories, including my gold fob chain.

As part of this long term project, the student (Annie) needs to obtain general feedback from a range of people who may have a similar problem to establish a need beyond just the client (me). She does need this feedback soon and perhaps adding this to an existing thread meant many people did not notice it.

1 Do you have a perfect solution for storing your pocket watch and fob chain overnight?
    Yes
    No

2 If no, can you elaborate on the problem and how you store the watch at this moment?

I know Annie would be interested in sharing her work and development with you guys, and I hope you can find a minute to share your thoughts.

Kind regards

Glenn (for Annie)

28. Jerry Treiman

Jerry Treiman Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Geologist - California Geological Survey
    Los Angeles, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  29. musicguy

musicguy Moderator
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    I don't consider overnight storage a problem. I do think about long term storage
    and how to keep my watches safe. Since I wear my watch every day it has to be
    safer laying on my nightstand vs in my pocket everyday like today when I was raking leaves.

Rob

30. Glenn Jenkin

Nov 13, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Dear fellow pocket watch lovers, thank you for your comments and pictures.

As part of this long term project, the student (Annie) needs to obtain general feedback from a range of people who may have a similar problem to establish a need beyond just the client (me).

Yes
    No

Kind regards

Glenn (for Annie)

31. musicguy

musicguy Moderator
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    Merging with original thread. No need for multiple threads on same topic.

Rob

Kent likes this.
  32. Glenn Jenkin

Nov 13, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hi All

Sorry didn't know these all came here. I was wanting some data as the student needs to write a report and the more responses indicating problems the better. Thanks for those that responded.