• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Research assistance request

John F

Sep 28, 2001
Hi folks,

I could use some help - my specific question is whether the barrel bridge on Elgin-made "Sun-Dial," "Solar" or "Atlas," and other grade 177, 178 or 179 watches carry the serial number on the underside. Here's why I ask -

I've been researching these grades as part of my Elgin private label reearch. These grades are variously marked Acme, America, Atlas, Solar or Sun-Dial. I'm trying to determine which of these are "in house" names, and which are "specially marked" or private labels. I've also been colecting serial numbers to see what the order and/or pattern of production might indicate.

(Yes, I know these are extremely low end and otherwise unremarkable watches, but I guess I like a challenge.)

So far what I have is still very preliminary, and not yet in any kind of shape to comprehensively report on. However, one thing that seems to be emerging - based on the data so far - is that each of the individual (and sometimes huge) runs of these grades is entirely devoted to a single name, except for at least some runs in which both "Atlas" and "Sun-Dial" named watches were produced, and at least one "Solar" and "Sun-Dial" shared run. However, I do not yet have a sufficient number of observations to try and determine whether there's any pattern within such "mixed" runs (i.e., whether there are multiple groups of consecutively numbered Atlases, followed by those marked Sun-Dial, or if one's at the beginning of the run, and the other at the end, or if the different names are more or less randomly distributed throughout).

The specific question I have is whether the barrel bridge, which typically carries the name, is numbered or not. I don't know if this would make any sort of difference in the order of production, but if barrel bridges were un-numbered, it would allow for a fair amount flexibility for an appropriate bridge and dial to be placed on a movement, as the "special order" demand required.

Her's where I'm stumped - I don't have any such examples in hand, so I can't check a bridge myself. I'd appreciate anyone having an Atlas, Solar or Sun-Dial in their junk pile to check to see if the barrel bridge is numbered.

Many thanks!
John

John F

Sep 28, 2001
Hi folks,

I could use some help - my specific question is whether the barrel bridge on Elgin-made "Sun-Dial," "Solar" or "Atlas," and other grade 177, 178 or 179 watches carry the serial number on the underside. Here's why I ask -

I've been researching these grades as part of my Elgin private label reearch. These grades are variously marked Acme, America, Atlas, Solar or Sun-Dial. I'm trying to determine which of these are "in house" names, and which are "specially marked" or private labels. I've also been colecting serial numbers to see what the order and/or pattern of production might indicate.

(Yes, I know these are extremely low end and otherwise unremarkable watches, but I guess I like a challenge.)

So far what I have is still very preliminary, and not yet in any kind of shape to comprehensively report on. However, one thing that seems to be emerging - based on the data so far - is that each of the individual (and sometimes huge) runs of these grades is entirely devoted to a single name, except for at least some runs in which both "Atlas" and "Sun-Dial" named watches were produced, and at least one "Solar" and "Sun-Dial" shared run. However, I do not yet have a sufficient number of observations to try and determine whether there's any pattern within such "mixed" runs (i.e., whether there are multiple groups of consecutively numbered Atlases, followed by those marked Sun-Dial, or if one's at the beginning of the run, and the other at the end, or if the different names are more or less randomly distributed throughout).

The specific question I have is whether the barrel bridge, which typically carries the name, is numbered or not. I don't know if this would make any sort of difference in the order of production, but if barrel bridges were un-numbered, it would allow for a fair amount flexibility for an appropriate bridge and dial to be placed on a movement, as the "special order" demand required.

Her's where I'm stumped - I don't have any such examples in hand, so I can't check a bridge myself. I'd appreciate anyone having an Atlas, Solar or Sun-Dial in their junk pile to check to see if the barrel bridge is numbered.

Many thanks!
John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BB767
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Swiss Fake by Kent