Requesting assistance with identifying Scottish Longcase (white dial) - 19th or early 20th century

Labradorian92

Nov 25, 2020
Country
Region
Hi all!

I'm posting on behalf of my father-in-law, who owns a hall clock that belonged to his Grandmother many decades ago. We believe the clock originated in Scotland and was brought over to the USA in the early 20th or late 19th century. It has the inscription "W. Spiers" (spelling?) on the left and "Larkhall" on the right, from what I can make out. The clock is quite tall, over 6ft and is great working condition. He doesn't know a lot about the clock and I was hoping an expert might be able to provide us with some more information or an estimated value. Please see attached pictures. I have done quite a bit of research myself and can't seem to find anything on this hall clock.

Thank you in advance!
Alex
IMG-2219.jpg IMG-2220.jpg unnamed.jpg

Last edited:

oldcat61

NAWCC Member
Dec 12, 2008
South Jersey
You will get more info/feedback if you change the title of your post. The words Hall Clock will cause some to scroll by. Try Scottish Longcase instead. Might add white dial to your search.

Reactions: Labradorian92

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Welcome to the board.

It has the inscription "W. Spiers" (spelling?) on the left and "Larkhall" on the right, from what I can make out.
Larkhall is a town in Scotland about 14 miles away from Glasgow. Spiers is quite a common scottish name and although I cannot trace a maker of this name others may be able to, as well as give you more information on your clock.

JTD

oldcat61

NAWCC Member
Dec 12, 2008
South Jersey
And we never get tired of good pix. More of the dial & case details. I have 2 Scottish brass dials, one from Dumbarton & the other from Selkirk. Earlier than your white dial, circa 1775 -1780. Sue

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
A late tall case but a nice one.

Very Victorian case.

These later clocks can be rather fussy and not with the best proportions. This one is nice.

I like that late type of white dial. Definitely looks like "W.Spiers" and "Larkhall".

Good value for the money, I think.

Why not share a full length shot of the clock, too. Would be good to see it in its entirety including base and feet.

RM

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
From what we have now seen of the case I think it is mid victorian so fits well with the guy in the post office directory. He would be the retailer of course whatever his clockmaking experience.

jmclaugh

Jun 1, 2006
Devon
Country
Region
It's a nice looking late painted dial longcase. There is a William Spiers listed, born Glasgow 1837 working Hamilton 1857, no mention of Larkhall though it is just south east of Hamilton.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
objectsnthemirror
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff