Request for Rockford Serial Numbers from 1-255,000 ( now expanded to 500,001)

Larry T

Jul 5, 2021
Country
I just picked this watch up for $20 at a local "antique" store. The serial number is108778. I think makes it a model 1 of size 18. The hour hand was broken off near the root and the minute hand had a nice curve in it. I am not sure if it is supposed to have an second internal crystal or not. There is no internal crystal present which would explain the broken hour hand and the bent minute hand. I started looking inside and found that the balance wheel staff is broken so the balance wheel is flopping about. Still trying to figure it all out. Here are pics as far as I got with it.

Larry
IMG_1318.JPG IMG_1338.JPG IMG_1337.JPG
IMG_1343.JPG

Bila

Jan 22, 2010
www.ozwatchstore.com
Country
Thank you for the pictures, you are correct a Model 1 key-wind, a nice little project, looks like you might also need the whip-spring for the Regulator. Also, could you please confirm the spelling of the last name on the dial if possible, thank you?

Larry T

Jul 5, 2021
Country
The dial is labeled:

H B Schanely
Quakertown, PA

I do see the two screw holes for the regulator spring, but I also see some Rockfords without that spring. Perhaps it is just to make the regulation more stable and someone thought it not necessary?

I will get a better picture of the face and send that along.

Larry

Reactions: Bila

Larry T

Jul 5, 2021
Country
Here is a closer view of the watch face. I do not see how to set the time on this watch. It has no crown and no lever. Also, I assume that it should have a second crystal to keep grubby hands off the face and hands.

Larry
DSCF9951.JPG DSCF9956.JPG

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
I do not see how to set the time on this watch. It has no crown and no lever
It sets from the front. The key fits
over the square.

1634083410179.png

Also, I assume that it should have a second crystal
It probably did not have a second crystal. You open the
the front bezel to set the time, otherwise it's always closed.

Rob

Larry T

Jul 5, 2021
Country
Ah... That makes sense. That means there is only one crystal and the hands are available to damage when the front of the case is opened. It explains the broken hour hand and bent minute hand.

Thank you! I just ordered a set of keys.

Larry

Larry T

Jul 5, 2021
Country
Just acquired this early Rockford #4509. Housed in a 6oz coin silver case. Looks in decent shape, but does not work. Likely needs a cleaning and new mainspring. Will send it out for repair in a week or two...

View attachment 692923 View attachment 692924 View attachment 692925
Nice. It looks very close to what I have. I am still waiting for the right parts watch to show up someplace. I am in need of several parts to make the watch complete. Unfortunately, I knocked the jewel on the roller out when I dismantled the watch and is it so tiny I never found it again. I replaced the balance wheel staff. This is all new to me, so I am on a steep part of the learning curve.

Larry

James Wrobel

NAWCC Member
Jan 17, 2020
Country
That appears to be a Model 1, like mine (1 case screw). It also has the two extra pivot jewels on the top, and some of those did not have matching jewels on the bottom (a little marketing "jewelmanship", I guess). I don't know if mine is one of those or not, so I've listed it as a 9-jewel. The dial appears to be in good shape as well. Beautiful case, too. Nice.

jjw

Bila

Jan 22, 2010
www.ozwatchstore.com
Country
Just acquired this early Rockford #4509. Housed in a 6oz coin silver case. Looks in decent shape, but does not work. Likely needs a cleaning and new mainspring. Will send it out for repair in a week or two.

A nice pick-up, have it in the list but Great to see it again, thank you:)

Bila

Jan 22, 2010
www.ozwatchstore.com
Country
Hi Bila, just picked this one up but having trouble finding any details on it. SN 150990 It is lever set and both pendant and key wind.
View attachment 696279 View attachment 696280

Thanks, Joe

Thanks Joe, a nice looking 9 Jewel 3/4 Plate Stem-winder mate, and one of the last of the 9 jewel Nickle 3/4 plate movements produced, great pick-up mate. Still looking for numbers mate if you find anything else let us know:)

Bila

Jan 22, 2010
www.ozwatchstore.com
Country

Cheers Marty, have that one mate but good to see it again as I had missed some details. We have started recording all types of data for these due to some minor differences we have noticed over the time we have been collecting, so the data logs are getting much larger now.:thumb:

Last edited:
Reactions: musicguy and PatH

John P.

Jul 29, 2021
Rochester, New York. 14609. USA
Country
Just chasing earlier Rockford Watch Company serial numbers between 1-255,000 range for research purposes. These serial ranges are absolutely all over the place and most of the contemporary writings/research are a long way out in some instances (as some of you have already deduced). We have a lot of numbers to date in the database but need more. The portrayed examples of these serial/production runs are based on the normal 1,000 to 2,000 block runs, in early assessment of the numbers, this is clearly not the case. So a lot more work needs to be done View attachment 570336

If you have any numbers you would like to share as well as details on features such as the following;

Plate type :- either nickel or gilt, jewel count (if you know how, as you would be surprised on how people do not now how to count the different configurations), Setting and winding type, case screw count and last but not least if a stem winder, does it wind at the 12 or 3 o'clock positions.

If you are unsure of any of the above please send me a photo of dial side and back plate so we can work it out. The reason I ask this is that the difference between model 2 and 3's is confusing and even sometimes the model 4's. We have already gone through multiple forum sites including our Forum here looking for examples and have logged those in the database, if you have any in your collections or parts bin it would be great to know.

This Rockford project only originally started out as a look into the 18 size Model 5 production of this Company by myself and my Daughter Erin, during this time there have been some great contributions by Members and by Others that know Members from this site, as well as from some of the other Horology sites. The project though has now snowballed just a little, all info is highly regarded and appreciated, if you do not want to clog up the message board here please send me a private message/conversation, thank you.
74,134. Model1.c.1876. 9j. K or S. (Transitional?)
201,132. Model 1. c.1885. 7j. Lever set

Bila

Jan 22, 2010
www.ozwatchstore.com
Country

Thanks John have both of those in the database but always good to see them again, would you be able to provide photos mate, including a picture of the dial as well, always much better as we have been collecting many other attributes for these, thanks?

That serial of 74134 has been previously reported as a 17, 19 and the 9 jewels as you have alluded to, but those designations are all incorrect, that is why photos are much better, cheers:)

Last edited:

Bila

Jan 22, 2010
www.ozwatchstore.com
Country
For anyone that is interested in these Rockford's, just a tidbit on the Model 6 production totals. There is possibly better then 9,000 if I haven't miss counted (these numbers tentative) in all variations of the Model 6, numbers are not finalized due to some runs still under investigation/research, so be aware that number totals could change.

This has been posted in another thread but I thought I would also put it here to keep all the info in one place as much as possible:)

John P.

Jul 29, 2021
Rochester, New York. 14609. USA
Country
The dial is labeled:

H B Schanely
Quakertown, PA

I do see the two screw holes for the regulator spring, but I also see some Rockfords without that spring. Perhaps it is just to make the regulation more stable and someone thought it not necessary?

I will get a better picture of the face and send that along.
Lrr
Larry
Rockford 5.jpg Rockford 9.jpg Rockford 70 copy.jpg

Reactions: Old rookie

darrahg

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 22, 2006
Houston
Country
Region
John P,
Your 8s ( 201,132. Model 1. c.1885. 7j. Lever set ) is probably 11J.

Bila

Jan 22, 2010
www.ozwatchstore.com
Country
That Nickle plate is a Stem-winding Model John, in today's Collector speak a Model 2, just be aware though that the early "Rockford Watch Co" did not attribute any "Number or Transitional" terminology/designations in their Model descriptions until they got to the year 1888 and the "Model of 1888" arrived, all other terms I have mentioned above come from the 1907 material Catalogue and are used by Modern day Collector's for identification purposes.

Also a large amount of earlier research and some of the current data floating around the internet have based their serial number runs on the "Rockford Watch Co Ltd" (the re-incarnation of the Original Company, "Rockford Watch Co") 1907 material/serial number book as well, and which we now know has plenty of glaring errors.

The later "Rockford Watch Company Ltd' couldn't even keep their own production records in order, let alone be able to produce an accurate list of the early production some 20 something years later:) So in turn, a lot of contemporary writings and websites have re-hashed these same errors. There have been and still are a few current modern-day Researcher's trying to sort the mess out, so always stayed tuned if you have an interest in Rockford's:)

Last edited:

Bila

Jan 22, 2010
www.ozwatchstore.com
Country
Just an update on the Rockford research, we were to have some preliminary data up by the New Year but due to ill health, a house move and a few other deaths in the Family in the first quarter of this year most things have gone by the wayside.

Also we have been still chasing numbers, we have 1.32% of the serial numbers in the first 500,000 numbers produced and are trying to get 10,000 or 2%.

This has been a very hard and long struggle to get there. Due to the hundreds of change made by the Company with Models and jewel counts at least 2% will be needed to nut out the discrepancies and miss-information about this Company's Watch Production (things will be re-assessed after we make this target as that might not still be enough).

Rockford production is not like most of the other Companies and due to these changes extrapolation can not be used in areas of the production to make a calculated guess on certain runs of models. Hence the ongoing search for numbers
Smile

As well as this we are still trying to nut-out how we want this published and presented to the Collecting World.

Bila

Jan 22, 2010
www.ozwatchstore.com
Country
cool serial number 1111, marked "Extra"
Nice Mike, have that one but great to see it again, do you happen to have a pic of the dial as we do not have dial details? Also have you had the dial off it at all to check jewelling on dial side and checked the barrel-bridge serial number?

Cheers

Last edited:

Mike M.

Jan 31, 2009
Hamburg, Germany or Central Texas
Country
Region
Nice Mike, have that one but great to see it again, do you happen to have a pic of the dial as we do not have dial details? Also have you had the dial off it at all to check jewelling on dial side and checked the barrel-bridge serial number?

Cheers
Now I remember, I did post it before... and you asked the same question...

I am currently out of the country, but will do it when I get back.

Bila

Jan 22, 2010
www.ozwatchstore.com
Country
How about this movement I found, no case for it yet
A nice pick-up, some of these in this run (this one from the 1st Production run of the "Model of 1888") were marked "15J & Adjusted" and as you notice this one is not, as many also were not (Rockford done this a lot). A few in this run were used on the CB&Q R.R. as per Greg Frauenhoff's research but once again not this one. It should be 15 Jewels so if you get around to lifting the dial can you shoot us a picture, thank you, cheers for posting it:)

Last edited:

Bila

Jan 22, 2010
www.ozwatchstore.com
Country
Cheers,

Just added it to the database, would you have a shot of the dial? Also if you do take the dial off, can you please confirm the jewel count, thanks:)

Reactions: Jskirk

Jskirk

NAWCC Member
Aug 6, 2018
Indy
Country
Region
Cheers,

Just added it to the database, would you have a shot of the dial? Also if you do take the dial off, can you please confirm the jewel count, thanks:)
Here is the Dial, in decent condition but just wrong.
I am also interested in the case, never seen a marking or grade, it feels silver but just may be a silverode style?

20220715_220250.jpg

Nathan Moore

NAWCC Business
Dec 29, 2011
Country
Those A.W.WCo Century's are "Silverode" or the like alright, definitely not coin silver, thanks for the photo:)
This is not correct. The Waltham "Century" case was advertised as "made of heavy plates of Silver, one-third the thickness of the back, stiffened with a Nickel lining." It is essentially a "silver-filled" case (with approximately 2 3/4 oz. of silver), not a nickel alloy like the Silverode cases.

Jskirk

NAWCC Member
Aug 6, 2018
Indy
Country
Region
Thanks Nathan, I was Tarnished like silver, not so much like a silverode style. It's a nice heavy case

Bila

Jan 22, 2010
www.ozwatchstore.com
Country
Just bumping this up so it stays in everyone's thoughts, we are still chasing more serial numbers, trying to get the 10,000 recorded for a better overview of Rockford's convoluted production.We currently have 8,300 recorded so still a bit of a slog left to go:(

Reactions: PatH

Watchitgone

Oct 5, 2022
Country
Hello,
Here is a 1881 Rockford in your serial number range that is about to be released from captivity via Ebay;
Serial Number 118306
Private label E.E. Cable?

2C194C35-B402-40CC-B0BC-47F23001D6B1_1_201_a.jpeg B450E18C-8B04-4FAE-B15F-F962EA75C7E6_1_201_a.jpeg ECA3E9B6-2368-4CFF-A72C-D7E046EE1D42_1_201_a.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leslie
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Watch Inspectors by Kent