Reputation star ???? Why?

Discussion in 'Member News and Views' started by MDean, Mar 4, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. MDean

MDean Registered User

Jun 7, 2010
    Retired Elec. Eng.
    Northwest Louisiana
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    A view:

reputationpoints.jpg

I had not noticed the STAR until Dan mentioned it. Why is this board getting more like a social networking site? We already socialize here in what I think is in a professional manner. There should not be a STAR to click on to get points for reputation and a place to evaluate that person. This is just plain silly and unprofessional. I guess this came with the forum package and we have no choice. Looks like this option is available on everyone that posts.

Everyone has opinions but having a specific place to provide those opinions of people does not seem proper for our message board. This is a tool that collects these opinions on every message board member and stores them in a database. How is this information going to be used? We have this Member News and Views to submit our views on other topics as I am doing here. However I think we generally stay away from discussing our personal feelings about others.

What are your views on this?

E.D.

2. David S

David S Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    Professional Engineer - Retired
    Brockville, On Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    E.D there is a thread starting in the message board problems / comments section, for all to give their feedback.

3. MDean

MDean Registered User

Jun 7, 2010
    Retired Elec. Eng.
    Northwest Louisiana
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #3 MDean, Mar 4, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
    dweiss17 likes this.
  4. Frank Menez

Frank Menez Registered User
    Deceased

Jul 11, 2003
    USAF Retired
    Somersworth NH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #4 Frank Menez, Mar 5, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
    There is something about this reputation thing that is not quite right. I can not put my finger on it. I do not
    see the purpose of this reputation star. If we have something nice to say about a member we all ready have
    a place to do this. I am sure the person or persons who came up with the Reputation Star had good intentions.
    Perhaps they need to take another look at this and see if they can come up with something that is more acceptable
    to the membership.

harold bain likes this.
  5. Dick C

Dick C Registered User

Oct 14, 2009
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Frank,

Thank you for this comment.

I agree with you.

Dick

6. FDelGreco

FDelGreco Registered User
    NAWCC Star Fellow Sponsor NAWCC Diamond Member

Aug 28, 2000
    Male
    Retired chemical engineer
    Novelty, OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Frank:

Here is the problem as I see it. Reputation is a perceived thing. Facts documented by hard core data is real. If I were to post something that was absolutely factual, backed by documented facts, people who didn't want to hear what I had to say -- because of urban legend or their own personal opinions -- would perceive me as having a poor reputation. Think of one republican standing in a room full of democrats -- or the opposite -- telling negative documented facts about the other's political party! Facts often don't matter. As they say, "Perception is reality."

Frank

7. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Retired from Graphic Arts
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    Frank Menez:

Your friend Dan Weiss agrees with you. We all make mistakes in trying to do something good for the betterment of the organizations we are members of and in doing so our motives could be taken in the wrong manner.

When I first saw that that star...even before the long black and white blog was posted, I thought Markus Harris did something wrong and was trying to salvage his reputation/job with our NAWCC. As his friend and admirer, I quickly posted my good thoughts in honoring Markus.

I suggest all that star stuff and big blog be removed before someone does more harm than good to a person's reputation. In the past, I have been a victim of postings by some unthinking NAWCC members.

8. David S

David S Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    Professional Engineer - Retired
    Brockville, On Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Well folks I still think it is ok to do the experiment. I think Tom says he has turned off the negative vote. We seem to be wanting to shoot this down before we really know how it works.

I guess it is too bad that there isn't a way to have a "test bed" with a few volunteers in order to figure out the features / limitations and just see how it works.

We could set up a poll to see what the members think.. but I don't much (any) faith in self selected surveys. But who knows that may show up something. Of course you can't vote on something unless you take the time to understand what you are voting on.

I am still ok.