Policy "Report" posts

Discussion in 'Message Board Help & Notices' started by Jim Haney, Nov 1, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jim Haney

Jim Haney Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Sep 21, 2002
    Male
    Working the farm, Garden,horses, goats, chickens,
    Decatur, TN.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #1 Jim Haney, Nov 1, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
    What is the current policy in handling "Report" posts ?

Why are they not acknowledged?

Who is responsible for seeing if follow up action was taken?

Is it just assumed that the Mod for the forum effected will handle it?

Who is in charge of this?

2. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Country Flag:
    Are you referring to your report about a post in Watch Repair?

In general the moderator responsible for the forum would handle the matter, though depending on the availability of the moderator and the specific issue, another moderator might take action.

3. Jim Haney

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Sep 21, 2002
    Male
    Decatur, TN.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Stephen,
    Glad to see your new found interest in watches:)

I would like for the Admin's to set a policy on this subject because when a post is reported, whoever has gone to the trouble of reporting it, should be shown the common courtesy of an answer.

It doesn't make any difference in the answer, either +or- just so that they will know something was done about it and they are not wasting their time by trying to help out the MB.
    I spent 5 years answering these posts and explaining to people the reason we did what we did and it promoted a more positive feeling among the users.

As it stands now, no one knows what happened after the post was reported, they could be right or wrong and someone should explain the reasons for actions or inaction's.

Most of the posters don't even know that it is available as a tool to correct their post after the time limit has expired, I see a lot of posts asking the Moderator to fix or correct something and it doesn't get done because they don't know to to get it done properly.

Maybe this should be moved to the top under Member Input?

4. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Country Flag:
    Better perhaps to leave it in this forum, since it affects all MB users, not just those who are NAWCC members. Perhaps @John Hubby will offer some comments.

As for my new interest in pocket watches, I will paraphrase our lamented friend, Harold Bain: If it ticks, I don't mind tocking to it.:=

5. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I reported a post a while back, because of political comments in the thread. I have no idea as to whether it was dealt with. Would be nice to know.

6. new2clocks

new2clocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Kevin,

I assume that if the post was not edited or deleted, then it was judged to be acceptable under the rules.

Regards.

7. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User

Apr 11, 2002
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Far as i know, politics are not discussed here, i dont come here for this.

8. Jim Haney

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Sep 21, 2002
    Male
    Decatur, TN.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Steven,
    Because John has chosen not to state the policy or not to respond to the questions, what else is there but to assume that there is no policy, what I suspected in the first place.
    The Watch Repair forum and Parts Wanted & the Chronometers forum have no moderators, so it looks like the MB is falling apart.

9. Dave Coatsworth

Dave Coatsworth Super Moderator
    NAWCC Business Donor Sponsor

Feb 11, 2005
    Camarillo, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    My assumption is that, if a member is interested in whether a report was dealt with, they will check the post to see if it was dealt with. If I deal with a report as requested, I do not usually notify the member making the report as I assume they can see that it was dealt with themselves. If we choose not to address a report and feel that an explanation is necessary, the member making the report will receive an explanation. This is almost always the case. Exceptions are rare.

10. Jim Haney

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Sep 21, 2002
    Male
    Decatur, TN.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dave,
    I completely disagree with your above statement.

I don't believe I have ever been notified about any post I reported unless I PM you for an explanation.

The person who reports a post is due the common courtesy of an explanation if what they reported was ignored and why, that was our policy when i helped to Moderate and it severed a good purpose, to inform the person of policy or rules, so they could understand the reasons.

11. new2clocks

new2clocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Kevin,

I am not disagreeing with you. The only possible answers to your question is as I mentioned before or the report was ignored or lost in the shuffle.

Regards.

Kevin W. likes this.
  12. Dave Coatsworth

Dave Coatsworth Super Moderator
    NAWCC Business Donor Sponsor

Feb 11, 2005
    Camarillo, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Certainly your prerogative, Jim. I simply stated the method I employ when dealing with reports in my areas.

13. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Country Flag:
    It was dealt with. Did you re-read it?

Kevin W. likes this.
  14. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Did you look to see if it had changed? There is no policy to report what action has been taken to those who report posts.

In almost all cases a moderator has already posted it before a member notices since they spend a great deal of time on the board.

All of our moderators are assigned to all of the forums and have authority to take moderation action in them.

If you see something that concerns you that you have reported, it is probably best to contact one of the admins or a moderator you know through the conversation facility.

I see that Steven and I were replying at the same time.

Kevin W. likes this.
  15. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User

Apr 11, 2002
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    No i did not know it was dealt with, as i am saying a simple note would have been great. I dont get on the mb every day, nor do i remember every thread i looked at. Some mods actually have replied to me and said they took action, so at least i knew it was handled in some way. Thanks for the replies.

16. shutterbug

shutterbug Super Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    When we do something to modify or remove a post, an explanation generally goes to the person who made the post, and an explanation to the reporter is not automatically generated.
    We do very much appreciate people reporting posts, and you can be sure that all reports are read and many are commented on by the admin/mod team members regarding whether they should be acted upon or not. Although I agree that the reporter would benefit by knowing that his report was read and acted upon, it's easy to overlook that.
    It should be comforting to at least know that ALL reports are read and dealt with if needed.
    I can foresee arguments starting about whether or not the reporter agrees with the action taken. That might be an underlying reason for not acknowledging a report.

17. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User

Apr 11, 2002
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Shutt for commenting on this.