Replacing tablet putty-Peter Nunes

Discussion in 'Wood Movement Clocks' started by dlb1052, May 26, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. dlb1052

dlb1052 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 8, 2014
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I believe I read some while back about using plaster of paris to replace the old putty. However, I cannot find the thread. I believe Peter Nunes made that suggestion. I think he mentioned using acrylic paint to dye the plaster of paris. My question is how and what proportion of paint to plaster of paris to water do I use (approximate is good) ? How long will it take to harden with this approach ? I think it sounds like a great idea, and want to try. Thanks.

2. Joseph Bautsch

Joseph Bautsch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 9, 2006
    Male
    Retired
    Atlanta, GA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Plaster of paris by it's self is not a very good choice for replacing glazing putty. It just will not hold up. The old glazing putty was a combination of plaster of paris and boiled linseed oil. The drawback to using it is it takes a couple of weeks to dry. You can use modern water based glazing putty and food dye to color it. If you use oil based glazing putty you can get different color dye concentrates used to color stains to get the color you want.

3. dlb1052

dlb1052 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 8, 2014
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dear Joseph,
    It has been a while since my post question but better late then never. Thank you so much for your response and the information. I tried the putty and dry pigment method as one you suggested. It works great, easy to use, shapes nicely and the color I was looking for. Very much appreciated. Diane