Replacing pocket watch pivot jewels

timekeeper10708

New User
Mar 9, 2022
Country
Hi, I'm a hobbyist who's trying to take the next step in my learning - replacing pocket watch jewels. I have a horia jewel press, a Feintaster micrometer, and tools for opening/reaming and closing the jewel chaton, or for rubbed in plate jewels. My concern is that I understand that modern day replacement jewels like seitz or borel are mostly incompatible with the settings in antique pocket watches? If this is so, how does one go about replacing jewels given that the only things available in the market in plentiful supply are the newer friction fit jewels (seitz and borel)? I apologize if this is an elementary question, it's just that I feel somewhat deflated having just purchased all the aforementioned tools. I thought I was totally ready to do the job, but appears I might also need a lathe! Thank you for any experiences you can share.

Skutt50

Mar 14, 2008
Gothenburg
Country
Welcome to the forum.

Old jewels were usually much lighter in color. Todays are much deeper red and sticks out in an old watch.

Old jewels were also thicker and e.g. cap jewels were not always round......

To replace an old jewel you need to find some old assortments with jewels. Not easy to find and those that have these usualy keep them for their own needs.....

Unfortunately, as with many used assortments, the most used items are gone so you might have to source more than one assortment to find the jewel you look for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VTC Duane
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last page
Hard Life for Wristwatches by Roy Gardner