replacing bezels...............

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by Jon Hanson, Jun 17, 2009.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jon Hanson

Jon Hanson Registered User
    NAWCC Member Golden Circle

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    Boston, Ma.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Do members replace lost bezels with used ones from torn up cases or are newly cut ones preferred?

What do members do on this issue?

2. Larry S

Larry S Registered User

Oct 16, 2001
    Region Flag:
    Used bezels never seem to fit right and I have never had a new one made. That being said, I only buy complete watches. So, no, I do not replace bezels nor would I have a new one made.

Larry

3. Jon Hanson

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    Boston, Ma.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Excellent Larry, however, many bezels of certain sizes are QUITE interchangeable.

On new ones made there is many times a problem with style, shape, or design.

4. Larry S

Larry S Registered User

Oct 16, 2001
    Region Flag:
    Excellent Larry, however, many bezels of certain sizes are QUITE interchangeable.

This should be true, however, I have tried swapping bezels on identical watches in identical cases and they never screw on properly. Maybe snap on bezels would be no problem.

Disclaimer: No watches were harmed in my experiment and no originality was lost. It was just a test.:):)

Larry

5. Jon Hanson

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    Boston, Ma.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Larry,

You are the best and have learned the RIGHT WAY TO DO THINGS, including collecting.

PS I was addressing snap on HC bezels.

6. Larry S

Larry S Registered User

Oct 16, 2001
    Region Flag:
    Sometimes I wonder if original case/bezel combinations mate well while an identical bezel from another case might have slightly different thread tolerances. Once used, threads seat and may not be a perfect fit on another case??

Larry

7. Larry S

Larry S Registered User

Oct 16, 2001
    Region Flag:
    That's what I thought.

Larry

8. Jon Hanson

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    Boston, Ma.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Runs of certain cases seem to be ever so slightly different.

Some of the switchers are famous for taking a RR case and replacing the back, worn cover with a like bezel to make a glass back.

What they didn't know is that these type GF glass backs were made abt 35 years ago.

9. Larry S

Larry S Registered User

Oct 16, 2001
    Region Flag:
    Well, used bezels are like an old pair of used shoes. They might fit the originals' feet, but they don't fit mine.

Larry

10. Jon Hanson

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    Boston, Ma.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    plus they can be dirty or the wrong color :eek:

Larry, you are a smart man--sticking with your choice and beautiful ALL ORIGINAL WATCHES.

11. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I found a nice engine turned empty case for an 1859 model Waltham that was missing the button and bezel. A friend had a button to match the case, which I purchased, but finding the bezel is difficult.

The problem is, that it takes a lot of skill and experience to select a bezel from a box of a few hundred bezels that will fit the watch in your hand. I personally would need a solid 8 hours or so to do that given the correct fitting bezel was in the box. However, we do have a member who seems to be able to do this in just a minute or two and he was able to easily fit the bezel to the watch.

Since I did not have a suitable movement for the case, I sold it at the meeting in Grand Rapids.

I bought the case in California where I also bought the button 2 months later. I actually sold the case before the bezel was fitted in Grand Rapids 4 months later still but the bezel was there and was fitted at the show.

I felt like the entire activity was worthwhile. There are quite a few Appleton Tracy 1859 model movements that need cases, so one of them will now receive a place to live.

12. Jon Hanson

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    Boston, Ma.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Tom,

I assume it was a hunter? Gold or silver?

Note to folks unfamiliar with these cases/movements: these bezels are usually very thin and "fragile." Hoards of bezels almost always NEVER have spares like these, and any gold ones have long been scrapped.

The ratio 59 model watches to movements is probably easily hundreds to one. Naked cases are seldom seen.

How much did you get for the case?

13. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The hunting case was silver. I bought it for $120 and sold it to a friend for a small profit. He paid $25 to have the bezel fitted and I also paid $25 for the button repair.

14. Jon Hanson

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    Boston, Ma.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    that was VERY reasonable on all accounts--maybe you should have tried the nawcc emart?:rolleyes::eek::}