Replacing a Seiko Kenetic Capacitor

Discussion in 'Wrist Watches' started by D N Ravenna, Apr 18, 2003.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. D N Ravenna

D N Ravenna Guest

Hello All,

Perhaps not your run of the mill problem, but you might be able to use the information. I have detailed it below with text and pictures. The pictures may take some while to load especially if you do not have broadband.

Happy Easter All!

Dan

Link to the instructions

NAWCC Member

2. D N Ravenna

D N Ravenna Guest

Hello All,

Perhaps not your run of the mill problem, but you might be able to use the information. I have detailed it below with text and pictures. The pictures may take some while to load especially if you do not have broadband.

Happy Easter All!

Dan

Link to the instructions

NAWCC Member

3. Dr. Jon

Dr. Jon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Aerospace Engineer
    New Hampshire
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dan That is a great post and I have the problem.

One thing I might suggest. Jogging really winds a watch. Before teh cap on my Kinetic failed, I could get it to max in about 2 miles.

I once tried it with a La Coultre powermatic and had to return after less than 1/4 mile as I had maxed its reserve

Dr. Jon

4. D N Ravenna

D N Ravenna Guest

Hi Dr. Jon,

Well this capacitor upgrade is the trick! It is a battery and has much more storing power. For instance, I gave it 2,000 swirls, and put it to rest Friday night. Here it is, Tuesday night, and the power reserve has yet to drop!

Thanks!

Dan

NAWCC Member

5. Steve Maddox

Steve Maddox Guest

I don't ordinarily work on quartz watches, but a good friend of mine came to me with a Seiko Kinetic a while back, and I told him I'd do what I could for it.

I haven't had time to read the article above (or download it -- slow connection), but my "solution" was to s*** can the "capacitor," and replace it with a standard battery.

That's been about two years ago, and the watch has yet to miss a lick. I'd guess that the charging mechanism helps to extend the life of a standard battery, but in any event, the standard battery has already lasted nearly twice as long as the original "capacitor," and it cost about 35 cents.

==================================

Steve Maddox
    President, NAWCC Chapter #62
    North Little Rock, Arkansas

6. Dr. Jon

Dr. Jon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Aerospace Engineer
    New Hampshire
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That a battery even a stroage battery holds more charge than a capacitor is simple physics. I do miss the capactor, however. The attraction of the capacitor is that at least in theory it can be dry (although there are wet capacitors). I liked this because it allowed the kinetic to be stored indefinitely, which I am reliuctant to do with quartz watches OTW as a leaky battery makes a mess of th emovement and possible more.

Dr. Jon

7. D N Ravenna

D N Ravenna Guest

Just an update... I just wanted to let you know that the replacement of the capacitor on my 3M22 with the rechargeable battery has been an outstanding success! It has been 6 days since I "shook" it about 2,000 times, and the power reserve has not dropped at all! Keep in mind that on this movement, the original capacitor was good for only 3 days when fully charged. Evidently, the data Seiko put out and I included in my little write-up seems to be correct!

I wish I had thought of the idea of using a battery instead, but I like the fact that the rotor does actually perform a function. So I have to say I am quite pleased.

Regards,

Dan

NAWCC Member

8. D N Ravenna

D N Ravenna Guest

Please try the following site.

click here

It is where I purchased the capacitor for my Seiko.

Regards,
    Dan

NAWCC Member

9. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Too bad these links dont work. I wonder how many swirls one makes in a average day. Obviously some people do move more. I think for walking i most likely give the watch the most movements.

10. Hawk53

Hawk53 Registered User

Dec 19, 2013
    retired
    native Californian
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Considering this thread is over 16 years old, I wouldn't expect the links to work.... would've been better if NAWCC hosted the info.