Repeater videos

Discussion in 'Horological Books' started by Richard Watkins, Nov 12, 2009.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Richard Watkins

Richard Watkins Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

I have made available 2 videos of repeaters striking, one continental quarter and the other minute, on my web site www.watkinsr.id.au. I have tried to reduce the file sizes while still keeping good quality.

If anyone has any problems with the files let me know. The process of editing videos is still largely a mystery to me.

2. RON in PA

RON in PA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 18, 2005
    Retired Neuroscientist
    S.E. PA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    A picture is worth a thousand words, but a moving picture of a complex movement is worth one hundred thousand words.

Thanks very much.

3. Curtis Jackson

Curtis Jackson Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Apprentice Watchmaker
    Columbia, Tennessee
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Very nice, Richard. I'm always enamored by repeaters.

You should consider uploading these videos to youtube so they can be embedded in your website or even here in the forum or wiki. Have you looked into that?

4. Richard Watkins

At the moment I am still trying to understand video editing software and I may change the files. I have no idea which format is best and the software does strange things I don't want - it has a mind of its own..

I deliberately zipped the videos because I think they should be watched several times - each time I look at them I focus on different aspects of the action - and so they are better downloaded. Originally I just put up .avi files which were opened by the web browser, but there was no sound! I have no idea why.

5. Richard Watkins

I am having troubles with my videos!!

Has anyone else had problems playing them?

6. Dr. Jon

Dr. Jon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Aerospace Engineer
    New Hampshire
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes

I get sound, not pictures.

7. Curtis Jackson

Curtis Jackson Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Apprentice Watchmaker
    Columbia, Tennessee
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #7 Curtis Jackson, Nov 25, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
    I had no problems when I watched them on 11/14. If you've changed their format since then, I can give it a try tonight when I get home.

The problem of sound but no video sounds like a codec issue. Media players have to have a certain codec installed in order to understand and play back certain video/audio types. The problem is that a lot of codecs are difficult to obtain and can be described as obscure to the non-audio/videophile audience.

I have found that the .mpg format can be less troublesome in the codec complication, but it can still fall victim to the same issue from time to time.

Richard, the easiest solution to your problem is to upload your videos to a youtube account so that they can be embedded into your webpage. This solves the issues of downloading a large or small file, codecs and media player compatibility - the only requirement of your audience, at that point, is the ability to play youtube videos (must have flash installed, which comes standard on most all internet browsers nowadays).

8. Richard Watkins

I haven't changed them.

I have found it impossible to get sensible information on codecs; that is, which are the most widely supported and hence most desirable.

I have tried a few different codecs and found all have problems with different players. AVI (divx) works on mac but is erratic on windows. MPG seems to work on windows but not on Mac. ... ad nausium.

The only format that appears to be genuinely transportable is the DVD VideoTS.

At the moment I know nothing of youtube. However, the videos on youtube that I have seen are poor quality, too poor for what I need. My aim is to provide videos for use with my repeater articles and they are meant to be watched several times while paying attention to different aspects of the mechanism. If they are viewed from within a browser, which requires them to be downloaded anyway, they might end up being downloaded several times if watched in different sessions. Saving as a local file is the best solution.

9. Richard Watkins

I presume you need to download and install the free DivX codec. I have added links to the page on my site.