repeater maker?

Discussion in 'Complicated Watches' started by Luca, May 19, 2010.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Luca

Luca Registered User

Jan 19, 2004
    As pictured below. I don't believe this is a Patek but I'm not an expert. Anyone want to weigh in?

repeaterwho.jpg

2. RON in PA

RON in PA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 18, 2005
    Retired Neuroscientist
    S.E. PA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It might be as Patek did make repeaters using that style of movement and not all Pateks are marked Patek. However that type of repeater movement was also made by others such as LeColture. There is always a possibility that there may be maker's marks under the dial.

I had the pleasure of handling a watch with such a movement recently while at the NAWCC Library, brought in by folks seeking an ID. The movement was unmarked, but the dial was marked Bailey, Banks and Biddle (a well known jewelry dealer in the Philadelphia area). This set me to do some research on BB&B and Patek. Sure enough BB&B did sell repeater watches with Patek unmarked movements.

3. Ben Hsiung

Ben Hsiung Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 30, 2007
    Re:Really hard to say without any other info

I'd say from the layout it resembles Patek, but it might not be so as I've seen similar layout in CH Meylan and Touchon. It'll be better if you can provide a S/N, and clearer pictures.

4. Dr. Jon

Dr. Jon Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Aerospace Engineer
    New Hampshire
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I doubt its Patek. Patek almost always used wolf's teeth winding wheels, especially in repeaters.

It is also a lot different from the Touchon repeaters I have seen.

My guess is C. H. Meylan
    1) The rarely used wold teeth winding wheels but always made very high quality
    2) They liked to cut out the winding bridge to follow the shape of the center wheel.
    3) They often engraved "Adjusted" as on this example

I listed reasons because it is guess

5. Luca

Luca Registered User

Jan 19, 2004
    The main reason I ask is that this is being auctioned as a 'Patek' repeater but no justification is given as to why. I asked but got no response. It doesn't really look Patek to me and I think Dr. Jon is on the right track. Meylan maybe.

L

6. Ethan Lipsig

Ethan Lipsig Registered User
    NAWCC Gold Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Male
    80% Retired Attorney
    Pasadena
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have found that C.H. Meylans vary a great deal. I cannot rule out the
    the C.H. Meylan attribution, but the movement is not identical to the my signed C.H. Meylan minute repeater nor to my Theo. Starr PL minute repeater that Antiquorom attributed to C.H. Meylan.

Attached Files:

7. Dr. Jon

Dr. Jon Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Aerospace Engineer
    New Hampshire
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #7 Dr. Jon, May 20, 2010
    Last edited: May 20, 2010
    Nice watches!

I think yours are earlier than the Luca posted. The large difference is the absent gold chatons but everyone stopped using them.

The difference click are a more serious issue and I have not seen this style ona Meylan before. taht could be my ignorance or a later change, but it is a real issue to me.

Note the similarity between these and the later one in the shape of the three cocks and the way "Adjusted" is engraved the shape of the whiplash spring (slightly different but very similar) and the winding wheel teeth.

I like Ethan's better than the mystery watch. I think Meylan is most likely of the candidates I can think of but what I am more sure of is that the mystery watch is not a Patek Phillipe.

8. Ben Hsiung

Ben Hsiung Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 30, 2007
    Re: Here are my Meylans for comparison

104.jpg

105.jpg

The top one is a private label but surely a Meylan with ultrathin movt S/N 5879, the bottom one is a regular thickness one in hunter case S/N 5140. CH Meylan did their repeaters and complicated watches in small S/N groups below 10000, it'll help to ID if S/N can be provided.

9. PWR_family

PWR_family Registered User

Jun 5, 2016
    Male
    Retired
    West Chester, PA
    Country Flag:
    Here is a very similar minute repeater I own. Dial and movement only say Bailey Banks and Biddle. I'm wondering who made the movement serial # 127953 Handed down to me from my certified expert Horologist grandfather! I have his certificate of examination from 1920's!!!

IMG_4733.JPG IMG_4737.JPG

10. Philip Poniz

Philip Poniz Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Feb 22, 2012
    Male
    Princeton, NJ
    It is Lecoultre, a derivation of their cal. UMV or RMV if it is a minute repeater, or UPV or RPV if quarters.

Ethan Lipsig likes this.