Repeater Identification

Casey Graybeal

Aug 2, 2020
Country
I have a gents 18K hunter case minute repeater split second pocket watch, case #14972, with unsigned movement, appears to be 21 jewel. It is engraved on the occasion of presentation to a high member of the Masonic Lodge, January 26, 1893. It was acquired years ago as a family gift, from the owners widow (not the original owner). Described by the widow as Patek Phillipe. Research shows this as a time period during which some PP movements were possibly shipped to jewelers stateside and encased. Photos are by RGM Watch, Mount Joy, PA during overhaul 2008. Trying to validate the watch for valuation.

First time to site, so apologies up front. Uploaded pictures under my name to unclassified media.

Ethan Lipsig

NAWCC Gold Member
Jan 8, 2006
Pasadena
Country
Region
Welcome, Casey. Without photographs, I doubt anyone here can help you much. You say you upload them to "unclassified media." If that is a feature in these forums, I have never seen it in my 16 years of active posting here. To post photos, reply to this message, but before hitting the "post" button, click on from PC and browse on your computer until you get to where the photos you want to upload reside. Highlight them and click "open." They then should load into this forum. You will see them. Click "thumbnail" or "insert thumbnail" and the photos will be inserted into your reply message wherever the cursor then is located.

As for your watch, I am skeptical that it is a Patek Philippe for a few reasons. The serial number is one reason. Patek Philippe serial numbers were issues chronologically as far as I know. I would expect a Patek Philippe watch with serial number 14,972 to date back to the 1860s or earlier. I don't think split second watches even existed that far back. Moreover, you say the watch was presented to presumably its original owner in 1893. Therefore, the serial number doesn't seem consistent with the watch being a Patek Philippe. The jewel count is a second reason. A high-grade repeater split seconds watch is likely to have substantially more than 21 jewels and mostl Patek Philippes were high-grade watches.

Ethan Lipsig

NAWCC Gold Member
Jan 8, 2006
Pasadena
Country
Region
Thanks, Graham. That's a feature I did know existed.

Casey, you look to have a very fine watch. I remain skeptical that it is a Patek Philippe based on the serial number and jewel count you provided. I checked to see whether it was a C.H. Meylan or Touchon, brands i am knowledgeable about. It doesn't resemble any of their minute repeater/split seconds watches. I checked to see if it matched my Haas Neveux minute repeater/split seconds. It doesn't.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me will identify your watch.

Casey Graybeal

Aug 2, 2020
Country
I would add that the number provided was the case number as provided by a remote appraisal. My understanding was no numbers or name are found on the movement itself.

John Cote

Director
NAWCC Member
Aug 26, 2000
Midwest USA
www.johncotephotography.com
Country
Region
What a beautiful and high grade watch watch. It has some similarities to various different watches I have seen but It is not exactly like any of them. I like Ethan will await the real expert opinions.

Philip Poniz

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Feb 22, 2012
Princeton, NJ
Casey,
Nice, high quality movement. Can you post photos of the marks inside the back cover?
Apparently, the photos were taken while the watch was being taken apart (for cleaning, I presume).
Can you post a photo of the movement before the chronograph parts were put back together? A photo straight from the top.
The same for under the dial movement, but without the minute and the hour wheels, would be helpful.

Casey Graybeal

Aug 2, 2020
Country
Philip
I appreciate the attention my question has received. As a non-collector, some of the questions and terms will be unfamiliar to me. I will retrieved the watch from safe keeping and try to provide some additional photos. Thanks again for the expertise of the group.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeffbloz
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller