• The Bulletins and Marts are again available online. The network connectivity problem has been fixed. Thank you all very much for your patience.

Repalcing a Urgos movement with a Hermle Movement?

Kidd

NAWCC Member
Sep 21, 2018
Country
Hello

I currently have a Howard/Miller grandfather clock that is not operational. I know it needs a replacement movement, since the current one is well worn out.

The movement is a Urgos UW32670D (New number UM32322). I am inquiring if there is a different movement manufacture (Hermele) that would have a similar movement, since I am not a fan of the Urgos escarpment with its small teeth. I would prefer to have a standard dead beat escapement.

The pendulum is 100 cm, the hand shaft length is 37mm. The three weights – weigh:

Left Weight – 4.? Lbs. – slightly over 4.1 Lbs. ?

Middle Weight – 6.? Lbs. - nearer 7 Lbs. ?

Right Weight – 7.? Lbs. – over – maybe 7.3 Lbs. ?

I do not have a scale that would give me a closer weight.

The strike lever control is at the 3’oclock position on the dial.

Any help or advise would be appreciated.

bangster

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 1, 2005
utah
Country
Region
Mark Butterworth can probably provide the information.
Butterworth Clocks
name & password: Butterworth

Dick Feldman

Sep 1, 2000
Colorado, usa
Country
Region
Kidd,

Bangster is correct.
I think you will find Mr. Butterworth very competitive on new movements. He is a frequent poster on this board and quite knowledgeable.
The original Urgos Company went out of business, I believe, in 2002. FHS (Hermle) bought out the assets of the company.
If a replacement Urgos movement is available, it will be to Hermle design and will fit as the original movement did without or with minimal modification of the dial, case, etc.
The new escapement is of Hermle design and more reliable than the original.
If it were my clock, I would opt for the auto beat as the new style is reliable.

Best Regards,

Dick Feldman

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
I agree with DF. The new Urgos movement will fit better and the only mods you will need should be minor. The new Urgos movement will actually have a Hermle escape wheel (for better or worse?) and many other parts to include new hands. The old Urgos hands have to be replaced with Hermle hands which are packed with the movement. On a few occasions the new higher bridge for the pendulum hanger will interfere with the chime block and some modification will need to be made. I've only had to do this a couple of times. Willie X

MARK A. BUTTERWORTH

NAWCC Life Member
NAWCC Member
Jul 4, 2009
Muscatine, Iowa 52761
Country
Region
They are correct. The new Urgos made by Hermle has both the Hermle escape wheel and also the Hermle verge for more reliable action. Email me at butterworth@butterworthclocks.com and I will be happy to send you information or the username and password to our site is butterworth all lower case. www.butterworthclocks.com

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smartin
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-