• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

Repairing modern quartz movements

zygo

May 29, 2008
Essex UK
www.horologica.co.uk
Country
I guess most of us who accept quartz CLOCK repairs tend to swap out a movement with a new one from UTS, Takane or Seiko etc. They're cheap and it's a quick and reliable solution. But sometimes you're faced with having to fix the original because it's obsolete and nothing else will fit in its place - the Hechinger round movement for example. It's 48.6mm in diameter and spring-fits into a 51mm hole (often ceramic so not something you can enlarge).Hechinger stopped making them years ago. UTS make something very similar but it's 52.3 mm in diameter so will not fit.

So how to fix? I have one and it's completely dead; not even a slight wobble of the pinion. The battery is good, the battery contacts are good, the sprung terminals at the other end (which press on contacts on the PCB) are good. Mechanically, the plastic wheels and pinion turn freely. And the electromagnetic coil shows an unbroken circuit on a test meter. So that leaves the PCB. There's only one thing mounted on it (apart from the coil) that can be removed and that's the crystal. I don't know how to check it (and I don't have the equipment even if I did know) but I've replaced the existing one with one from a working movement and it made no improvement. Apart from that there's a black "blob" which I presume contains the fifteen flippers to down-size the quartz' 32,768 pulses per second to one per second. There's no way of checking that or even replacing it.

Has anyone on here found a common cause of failure and a solution? Better still, does anyone have any NOS Hechinger round movements or know of any other brand slightly smaller than the UTS?

In the photo, the casing is on the left just to illustrate the type, and the part-stripped movement is on the right - the crystal is normally mounted on the other side but is shown here just to demonstrate. hechingerRound.jpg

zygo

May 29, 2008
Essex UK
www.horologica.co.uk
Country
Thanks, Escapewheel.
I have never seen the ones you mention first; they're bigger and if the stated size of 1 15/16ths is correct, it only leaves a gap of about 1.5mm for the spring-loaded clips or rubber ring to keep it in place. But I'm worried by the reference to 2 inches in the drawing - that would make it impossible to fit. Shame it's in the US as stuff can take a month to arrive in the UK and I always seem to get an import bill with local takes and duty added. Bizarre as if I buy from China (where I guess it's made), it's further away but quicker cheaper to import.
By an extradinary coincidence, I'd already been in touch with your second suggestion by phone and email but he wasn't really interested in selling until an email this morning. So there's now some hope of a solution in the short term but supplies will eventually run out so I'm still after any input from someone whose physically repairs these units.
Much appreciated - truly.
Stay safe all.

Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hollya1
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Aurora's 15 Ruby Jewel Movements by Greg Frauenhoff

514 Poplar Street
Columbia, PA 17512

Phone: 717-684-8261

Contact the Webmaster for perceived copyright infringement (DMCA Registration Number 1010287).

Copyright © National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors Inc (A 501c3 non-profit corporation). All Rights Reserved.

The NAWCC is dedicated to providing association services, promoting interest in and encouraging the collecting of clocks and watches including disseminating knowledge of the same.