Repair manual for case pendants

Leo Ross

Feb 23, 2021
Rising Sun, Indiana
Country
Region
Do any of y’all know where I could hopefully purchase a book on how to size and fit an antique pocket watch case with the proper crown sleeve and stem? I am trying to create a small market niche where I could take some of these non-precious metal cases and or hunter cases and re-fit them with the proper stem, sleeve, and crown for whatever given movement I choose to put in? I have about 5000 Stems probably 1000 sleeves of various size and a good number of crowns.
I’ve manage so far through trial and error but there are so many different variations that it is making it almost impossible to do it correctly. It seems to me that would be at the very least a mathematical way to get you extremely close? I have a good set of calipers and also a micrometer left over from my days as a machinist. It seems mathematics is the proper way to go about this job. Can someone please offer me a text that will point me in the right direction and Subsequently lead me to the correct questions to be asking. My only concern is turn-of-the-century railroad grade pocket watches, and other pocket watches. So what I’m saying is pocket watches.... Leo

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
Moved to watch repair section

Rob

DeweyC

NAWCC Member
Feb 5, 2007
Baltimore
www.historictimekeepers.com
Country
Archie Perkins wrote articles that covered many aspects of casing; including one on pendants, soldering and case springs. YOu have to look at the back issues of AWI's HT. It was at least in the 1990s, if not 1980s. I have it in my files but they are still waiting to move here from Baltimore. These were not articles intended for his books.

Reactions: MrRoundel

DeweyC

NAWCC Member
Feb 5, 2007
Baltimore
www.historictimekeepers.com
Country
Reactions: D.th.munroe

Leo Ross

Feb 23, 2021
Rising Sun, Indiana
Country
Region
I looked at my index of AWI/AWCI Horolgogical Times Perkins articles. It shows that the case repair series was run during the second half of 1979. Good luck.
I pulled up all of the issues from the fall of 1979 into the early part of 1980 and this is a really good series of articles relating to watch case pendant accessories, thank you so much I would have never thought to look there

MrRoundel

Dec 28, 2010
So. Cal., USA
Country
Region
YW, but it was DeweyC. who remembered the series being in HT. I just happened to have an index of sorts that luckily included those years. I'm glad it helped. Cheers.

DoughBoyWatches

Jan 5, 2021
Country
Do any of y’all know where I could hopefully purchase a book on how to size and fit an antique pocket watch case with the proper crown sleeve and stem? I am trying to create a small market niche where I could take some of these non-precious metal cases and or hunter cases and re-fit them with the proper stem, sleeve, and crown for whatever given movement I choose to put in? I have about 5000 Stems probably 1000 sleeves of various size and a good number of crowns.
I’ve manage so far through trial and error but there are so many different variations that it is making it almost impossible to do it correctly. It seems to me that would be at the very least a mathematical way to get you extremely close? I have a good set of calipers and also a micrometer left over from my days as a machinist. It seems mathematics is the proper way to go about this job. Can someone please offer me a text that will point me in the right direction and Subsequently lead me to the correct questions to be asking. My only concern is turn-of-the-century railroad grade pocket watches, and other pocket watches. So what I’m saying is pocket watches.... Leo
I mean its not easy to do, but it takes understanding of diameters, lengths, tap sizes etc........ keeping swiss movements with swiss cases and American movements with American cases would alleviate a lot of stress. I have assortments of case sleeves and I go by what is in the bottle. If they are loose i check the tap size in order to match it to the case. Stem tap size is important when matching a crown so I first organize my crowns and stems bases on tap size. Length of stem needed can be adjusted by cutting or screwing or unscrewing the case sleeve. I have grinded down the male ends of stems to work with a particular movement. I have even added metal to make it longer if needed. Crown taps/reamers, crown gauge, are a must have.

Reactions: MrRoundel

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clockmart.
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre