Repair Hamilton Chronometer Model 21 in Orlando

Discussion in 'Chronometers' started by zamboni, Apr 28, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. zamboni

zamboni Registered User

Jan 18, 2012
    Country Flag:
    I have always wanted a model 21 Hamilton chronometer. I bought one at auction, probably not one of the brighter things I have ever done. I feel quite foolish.
    It does not work. I took it to a clockmaker. He passed on the job, but said
    Disassembled it to access the movement. It appears the mainspring is fine, but the fusee (part of the winding system) appears jammed. Don't know why, though it would appear it has to be the winding pawls are jammed or corroded, though the whole movement looks good and not showing signs of corrosion. I am concerned because someone has applied oil all over the movement, and it will need a thorough disassembly, cleaning and lubricating.
    Is this a "common" problem for this type of instrument?

Is there anybody in Orlando who can repair this type of specialized chronometer?

Thank You,
    Paul

2. musicguy

musicguy Moderator
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    Don't stress, as you have found there are many clockmakers who would not work on these
    but there are competent watchmakers who do. Post some photos of what you
    have.

Rob

3. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It takes a bit of skill to disassemble a model 21, especially if the mainspring is wound.

If the escape wheel and the spring detent survived, you are lucky or you clock maker knows a bit more than most do.

The fellow who repairs mine has told me the current on he has just finished will be his last and I do not have anyone else at the moment.

I do not know if there are any chronometer repairmen near where you live, but chronometers can be packed and shipped safely if one knows what they are doing. Can you post a picture of the chronometer works with the dial resting on the inside of the bezel and the bezel glass down on a table?

We will not be able to do any kind of real diagnosis, but we may be able to guess how much trouble you are in. :)

4. zamboni

zamboni Registered User

Jan 18, 2012
    Country Flag:
    I don't have the clock back from the guy who passed on the job. Here is a picture of the whole chronometer. I will get more pictures after I pick it up. It also has a broken crystal. Any idea how much that will cost to replace?

Chrono.jpg

5. Paul Regan

Paul Regan Registered User

Mar 4, 2003
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello Zamboni,
    I live about 45 mi northwest of Orlando and would be happy to help you diagnose your 21.
    Paul

6. zamboni

zamboni Registered User

Jan 18, 2012
    Country Flag:
    Thank you for your very kind offer.

Just today I have taken the clock to a local repair shop that is experienced in chronometer repair. A person emailed me the name of the company and I called them to set up a time to drop it off.

Thank you to all who ventured assistance. I will post photos when I have the clock back from the repair shop.

I consider the problem to be solved.

Thank You,
    Paul

7. River rat

River rat Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 4, 2009
    #7 River rat, May 5, 2019
    Last edited: May 5, 2019
    When you wind these they don’t start running until you give the movement a jump start you give the movement a gentle twist to get the balance wheel moving and that gets the movement running when you wind it at a dead stop when you wind it from a dead stop it won’t run until you do that after winding . Did you wind it with out giving the movement a twist ? Also some don’t check to see if the movement is corked a piece of paper under the balance wheel to protect the balance when not in use it prevents the balance wheel from moving another thing to check.

8. Paul Regan

Paul Regan Registered User

Mar 4, 2003
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    There are three other ways this could be corked also.
    Paul

9. zamboni

zamboni Registered User

Jan 18, 2012
    Country Flag:
    I did check and see if the balance was freely moving after winding the clock. Unfortunately, there was something else wrong. I did give it a twist to start it, but no go.

Paul

10. zamboni

zamboni Registered User

Jan 18, 2012
    Country Flag:
    I checked all the spots that I could see, there was nothing blocking the balance, or other wheels that I could see.

Paul

11. River rat

River rat Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 4, 2009
    Here is a thread I posted of mine when I got it at another forum. I had the same problem could not get it to run. Then a member there told be mine looked like it had what he called a stop screw that they use to have before that new devise you used a allen wench for to secure the movement for travel instead of a cork and using the stop screw. There was a screw that is usually missing with the ones with the allen screw set up. The screw screw's down in-between a gear and prevents the movement from running. There is a photo of it in this thread another thing to check.
    Incoming Hamilton Model 21 chronometer | Omega Forums